Arcam CR104 remote - how do you dismantle?

m33ufo

The volume control on this remote has stopped working. All other buttons work just fine. Can't see any obvious way to dismantle it so hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

spl23

Not tried dismantling that remote in particular, but they are usually held together with a few small screws - look in the battery compartment or under any feet or stickers on the back of the case - and then plastic clips around the edges. The best tool to pry them open is a plastic "spudger" as sold to open phones, iPods etc - failing that, a heavy guitar plectrum is good. Just stick it into the gap along the side and gently lever until the clips pop open.

m33ufo

Thanks. I've unscrewed the two small screws which are visible once you remove the battery cover.

Is the idea that you prize the top of the case off the bottom?

spl23

Yes, just gently ease the two halves apart where they join at the edge. The first clip is always the hardest; once you've got that one done, the rest are easier. Try starting at one corner and levering gently.

m33ufo

Thanks, sorted! There's a definite technique to it. Easy once you know how :)

The odd bit appears to be that the keypad doesn't line up with the spots on the printed circuit board for volume up/down. I bought the bdp100 which the remote accompanies new in 2010 so I assume it's just never worked.

Last edited:

spl23

Well done!

With regards the volume control, it is supposed to work the volume on a compatible Arcam amplifier, not to adjust the output volume on the BDP100 itself - have you set your amplifier to use non-standard remote codes? (I think the recent AVRs allow you to choose between two different code sets.) It's very unlikely that both volume up and down have stopped working simultaneously - you'll occasionally get a single button that doesn't work, but if the remote is sending all other codes correctly, there's not much that would prevent it also sending the volume codes.

spl23

Yes - page 26 of the AVR500 manual tells you how to change the remote control code set used by the amp - have a look at that and check you haven't done so by mistake! I assume the CR104 sends command code 16 by default - make sure the amp is set to respond to that and not to code 19.

m33ufo

Reassembled the remote and all working as it should - hooray! No obvious problems but as long as it's functioning I'm happy :)

Thanks for the input.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom