Arcam CDS50 utter lack of documentation.

sepharad

Standard Member
I am utterly sorry I bought ARCAM. How a manufacturer can ship amplifiers and streamers with NO VIABLE instructions for use is inexcusable.

3 sentences on use of the streamer, in their glossy 100 page "Handbook"... this is well named because other than holding it in your hand it's useless. The Amplifier instructions are little better. After contacting Arcam they SENT ME instructions for connecting to my network. Thats it. How to connect. NOTHING MORE.

Their online use manuals warn me about electrocution, show me an electrical diagram in like 9 languages, BUT NO INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE. To say I am frustrated is kind.

sepharad

Standard Member
I have the manual. it is 136 pages of nothing. Network setup is 3 sentences. Playing from the Network is...3 sentences.

I had to contact them for instructions which they HAVE but don't distribute. Once obtained they connect to the net and thats it. Nothing more.

What they have provided online is big, glossy and contains no meaningful use instructions. Take a look at what you sent me. All 6 sentences can be found on pages 9 and 10.

sepharad

Standard Member
Once my unit is connected to my WiFi:
1) will it automatically do so on powering up? (since there is no indicator of connection)
2) what setting on my Arcam SA 20 amplifier so it plays what is coming through the unit?
3) Now that I am connected to WiFi how do I get Tidal to come through the streamer?

These are the instructions in the Handbook:

"Ensure the CDS50 is connected to your local network. Select ‘Media Browser’ from the home screen, the user will be presented with a list of devices available for browsing. Navigate the available libraries using the ' , < > keys on the remote.
Network music playback may also be controlled from your computer, phone or mobile device using your favourite UPnP control point application.
Pressing OK or 4 on a highlighted audio file will access the file for playback. Playback will continue through all subsequent tracks in the playback directory."

When media browser is selected it indicates DLNA search 1/1. Pressing the arrows does nothing. There is no list of devices. There are no audio files listed.

Clearly I am missing something. Given that their 3 sentence connect to your WiFi was a four page illustrated set of instructions, I suspect something similar here.

Supposedly I can interface between the unit and WiFi at the unit, but cannot figure out how.

Cebolla

Network music playback may also be controlled from your computer, phone or mobile device using your favourite UPnP control point application.
3) Now that I am connected to WiFi how do I get Tidal to come through the streamer?
Use a 'favourite' UPnP control point (aka UPnP/DLNA controller) app that supports TIDAL, such as BubbleUPnP (Android only; unlicensed version is free) or mconnect Player (Android & iOS; free Lite version available for testing).

Once my unit is connected to my WiFi:
1) will it automatically do so on powering up? (since there is no indicator of connection)
Would be pretty poor if it didn't - the only time I've ever seen this not happen in a streamer is if it's reset itself after a major failure.
Very simple to test - just see if the CDS50 appears on the list of available players (aka renderers, aka streamers) in your 'favourite' UPnP/DLNA controller application (assumes the application is running on a device that you have also connected to the same network).

2) what setting on my Arcam SA 20 amplifier so it plays what is coming through the unit?
???
Do you really need instructions for this?
Isn't it just a case of selecting whatever input on the amp that you plugged the CDS50 iinto?

Last edited:

sepharad

Standard Member
No I just like to ask annoying questions. What do you think? I am asking for kicks? I ask questions because I don't have the answers. The CDS50 is also a cd player, it is plugged into the CD ports on the amp. The CD player works fine, this still fails to answer my questions

so again. 1) NO LIST appears ON THE UNIT. it seems to search endlessly and finally shuts down.
I have not yet downloaded an app. Is an app the only way to operate the device?

JBA6

1) No list appears - this is almost certainly because you have no media server(s) set up on your local network. These could be either a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive or alternatively a PC or Mac configured to make the music and video files you have stored on them available to other devices on your local network.
2) Yes an app is the way to go. Arcam recommend their MusicLife app. If you check out the screenshots for the Android version on the Google Play Store you'll even see one of the screenshots shows it playing a music track to a CDS50. The MusicLife app should also allow you to stream from Tidal amongst other internet music streaming services..
I have no personal experience of the CDS50 or the MusicLife app so can't offer further advice on either but this should be enough to get you up and running.
--
JB

Nocturnal

I have to admit there is much more technical knowledge and headaches with modern networked equipment. A manual will not help you as everyone has different routers, NAS drives, attached hard drives, the software changes and equipment needs firmware updates.

I have the CDS50's predecessor, the CDS27 and I have used it since 2016 using only the supplied remote control using CD's and an attached 1TB USB HDD.

Only recently did I get on the internet via smart phone hotspot and I can stream internet radio using the Musiclife app...

You must have the wi-fi operational first of all (or your CDS50 plugged into your router using ethernet cable), then switch on the CDS50 and if using wi-fi you need to use network scan, identify your network and input the password, alternatively select ethernet if you are using ethernet...

Then start Musiclife, select CDS50 as your audio output and select 'streaming sources' and radio or tidal or whatever you wish. I just did this and I only ever use radio and it sounds bloody fantastic...

At the same time I tried to select music from my smart phones SD card and the CDS27 is displaying 'unsupported file OK to return' and the MP3 or FLAC file does not play LoL. 😄

I need to use another app called Bubble uPnP to play these SD card music files from my phone BUT as I have all the music on a hard disk connected to the CDS27 I just play them from there using the remote but you loosde all the options of using playlists, random play etc. by using this old method.

Musiclife has been a crappy app since it came out and it used to be Apple support only until recently the Android version came out, it has been improved but it still isn't great.

Apparently Harmon (Arcam owners) are replacing MusicLife next year with better software but maybe just a rumour. There have been nothing but deserved complaints from all Arcam buyers of all models of streaming equipment about it for years.

Now you should realise how useless a manual would be.

It is not an easy task to get Arcam gear streaming nicely and it desperately needs the easy to use functionality of other manufacturers who have made a good job of it. It is still a pain in the arse to use even for technically proficient people (I used to be a software engineer).

Tell us if you have any success with it. Good luck! 😎

Nocturnal

CDS27 and SA10 happily streaming Nordic Lodge (Sweden) internet radio from mobile phone hotspot...
IMG_20201020_025359387~2.jpg

NB: I do not have broadband nor a router of network, just a smart phone and mobile data 👍

MaryWhitehouse

No I just like to ask annoying questions. What do you think? I am asking for kicks? I ask questions because I don't have the answers. The CDS50 is also a cd player, it is plugged into the CD ports on the amp. The CD player works fine, this still fails to answer my questions

so again. 1) NO LIST appears ON THE UNIT. it seems to search endlessly and finally shuts down.
I have not yet downloaded an app. Is an app the only way to operate the device?
Why do you think anyone will help you if you’re this rude?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom