Arcam CDS50 Streaming Flac files

KeithBe

Standard Member
Not sure whether anyone can help with this.
I've just bought an Arcam CDS50 and I'm very pleased with it. However I'm experiencing problems with the Arcam not "seeing" Flac files on my PC.

The CDS50 is connected directly to my router with an Ethernet cable and Media Streaming is enabled on my Windows 10 PC. Using the CDS50 Media Browser I can access and play MP3 files from the PC. However the Flac files, which are located on the same PC drive, do not show up in the CDS50 Media Browser. But if I plug a USB Flash Drive containing copies of the same Flac files into the CDS50 they can be accessed can played.

Does anyone have any suggestion why this might be the case and what I can do, if anything, to get around this issue? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I think your problem is Windows 10 media streaming doesn't support FLAC although you may want to google that to ensure it's the case. I would have thought you can find some free third party solution the get around that though.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
In my experience its worthwhile finding something better than Windows media server. Theres a few music dedicated UPNP servers. Personally I use the DLNA component of Logitech Media Server (I also have specific LMS devices as well) but when I did my preference was for Asset UPNP. Asset UPnP DLNA

Theres also Serviio which I quite liked but it was more general purpose.

Cebolla

I think your problem is Windows 10 media streaming doesn't support FLAC although you may want to google that to ensure it's the case. I would have thought you can find some free third party solution the get around that though.

The Windows DLNA server / Windows Media Player bundle is supposed to support FLAC since Windows 10 (you used to have to manually install a special codec plugin to provide FLAC support for WMP pre-Windows 10).

Nevertheless, the Windows DLNA server has a reputation for being buggy with regards to supplying audio files and I also advise using a third party UPnP/DLNA media server such as the ones already mentioned.

BTW, the "Turn on media streaming" function in the Windows Network and Sharing Centre's Media Streaming options is only for switching on the Windows DLNA server. It is therefore not required for any other UPnP/DLNA media server to work and I'd advise keeping it switched off to avoid any confusion in selecting the correct UPnP/DLNA media server.

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Oh maybe that's what I was thinking of. I remember trying to help a friend troubleshoot a streaming problem a while ago and it came down to some issue with Windows and FLAC but don't remember the details. Pretty sure it would have been Windows 10 but could be wrong. I know he solved it with a third party app though.

KeithBe

Standard Member
Hi Timmy, Jamie and Cebolla,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. You've all been really helpful and given me some real insights which have enabled me to move forward with this problem. I hadn't realised that Media Server could be buggy and may have limited file support (though I should have guessed). It looks to me as if Asset UPnP DNLA may be the solution, I'll download and try it this evening. I'll also try turning off the Windows Network and Sharing Centre's Media Streaming options to avoid conflicts.

Thanks again to all of you for your help
Keith

KeithBe

Standard Member
PS- I've just installed Asset UPnP DNLA (a 5 minute job) and it works. I'm able to see and play Flac files on my PC on the Arcam CDS50.
Many thanks again
Keith

RussBFG

Novice Member
Hi All at AV forums. I've just joined as I am having problems with a just bought Arcam CDS50. I am retired and not an IT person at all! It will play CDs/SACDs quite happily. I have it hardwired to my network, as is a Synology DS918+ NAS. I have all my music stored on the NAS that I ripped using dBpoweramp cd ripper into FLAC format. My Sonos system allows me to browse and play the music. The Arcam finds my music, identifies individual files but then says that they are unsupported.
I don't know what to do and must confess that I'd really appreciate any help in language that does not assume too much familiarity with modern technology! Many thanks in anticipation

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom