Arcam CDS50 as a preamp?

oaklandraiders

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this can be used as a preamp, so that the analogue outputs can be controlled by volume button on Arcam remote.
It’ll be plugged direct into a power amp.
Thanks

As far as I'm aware and just like any other SACD/CD player it's a fixed gain analogue output that needs a pre-amp stage. What do you have as a pre-amp?

Upvote 0
I’m trying to cut down boxes, so looking for something I can plug direct to power amp.
Looking at various CD players with digital inputs.
Marantz SA8005 and Marantz nd8006 fit the bill

Upvote 0
I have a Marantz sa8005. It has a fixed output of 1.7V. I could use the remote to adjust the volume on my Rega amp. It's the pre-amp circuits that influence the audio, for good or for bad and is, to me, a very important part of the whole chain. A power amp just amplifies what is input. There are no real volume controls on power amps, you can adjust the input sensitivity. A rather blunt instrument and I don't know if the Marantz remote would be able to control it.

If you're looking for less boxes then an integrated will do that job. There's always a good market for selling power amps on. Of course that may depend on what speakers you're driving and in how big a room.

Upvote 0
I thought the SA8005 had a variable analogue out, so hoped that would control volume into owner amp, but I’ve read so many manuals my head is spinning.
Current setup was Quad 99, but trying to move away from that.
Integrated amp not an option….
There’s the Quad Solus but too much ££££ otherwise that ticks every box.
I’m trying a Burson Funk as the power, it just about loud enough, don’t listen that loud anyway

Upvote 0
Cambridge CXU, it's actually a Blu Ray player but also a (very) respectable sounding CD/SACD player, also has loads of inputs/outputs fixed or variable volume and is very versatile, also can be used as a DAC and you can also plug in a Hard drive loaded with FLAC. Mind you they seem as rare as hens teeth so getting hold of one second hand might be a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All the Cambridge ones out there are battered !
The Oppo 105 is the one but again silly money

Upvote 0
My one is Mint. Not selling it though.
the 725BD is the next best thing. CXU and 725 are Oppo clones.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
I’d seen that one, not sure I could live with the scatches😀

Upvote 0
I’d seen that one, not sure I could live with the scatches😀
Couple of minor scratches on rear of top cover that's all. Get one, you wont regret it, they're fantastic units.

Upvote 0
Picked up 752BD earlier today 😀
Briefly tried CD and as a preamp, sounds fantastic

Upvote 0
Picked up 752BD earlier today 😀
Briefly tried CD and as a preamp, sounds fantastic
Glad you like it, I find they do need a little warm up before they sound really magic (about 20 Mins)
The only real niggle I have with my CXU is the way the remote control is laid out, stupid button assignments. Picture Q on Blu Ray is also sublime.
Not sure if you can do this also with the 725bd but I can have one HDMI output to my main OLED TV (turned off to prevent screen burn) and use the second HDMI to output to a smaller LCD for when I listen to music via a Hard disk plugged into the rear, as I can see and scroll through the music on screen, as I said, very versatile units and well built.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom