1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam CD93.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by amped2go, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. amped2go

amped2go

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey All,
    My first post!!
    I was reading a previous post that mentioned the Arcam CD93. Some people were going to upgrade from the CD72T, did anyone do this and what were the results??. I currently have a CD82T and was wondering if anyone knows the cost of upgrading to the CD93.

Thanks in advance,
    Amped2Go

2. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was one of the ones looking to do it. Not done it yet although I very much intend to. Trouble is, I've still not seen one review of it, or heard anything from anyone who's got one, or even seen one in a shop! Its not even on Arcam's website in any great detail.

I just want a bit more info before I send off my 72T for upgrade. Has anyone out there actually had a listen/seen a review of one? :confused:

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Peo -

Reviews are in the works, likely to be a month or two to publication. Why not try to get a demo - there are about 80 to 100 shops who now have it and it is selling out well.

In the meantime if you want reassurance look in this month's Hi-Fi CHoice or Hi-Fi News for reviews of the CD33. This uses the same DAC board, plus extra power supplies and damped casework. The sound balances of the two players are essentially similar though the 33 is ultimately more refined.

Amped2Go - The upgrade price is £550 whatever you upgrade from - it keeps life simple here. Of course if you have a CD82 that will leave you with the 82 DAC board / module afterwards, which would have value for your dealer or say another Forum member.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info John. I will see if I can persuade the muppets who run the Derby Superfi to get one in in for a listen!

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Mr. Dawson,

How does the CD93 compare with the FMJ CD23? I'd be very interested to know because I own the latter.

Thanks,

Henry

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Godfather -

There are quite a lot of benefits to be had from the FMJ damped case and extra power supplies. I would keep the CD23 :)

I do think that the new CD33 is a useful advance on the 23 but it is not night and day IMO.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Many thanks for the very quick reply and helpful advice. I'll hold on to my CD23 for now. :)