Arcam cd92 V cd192 or ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dermondo, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dermondo

Dermondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all, this question i'm posing has probaly been being dealt with before but anyway, I have the cd92 a cracking cd player with I upgraded from the cd72 in my opinion is was a vast leap in detail, soundstage, pushing vocals to the front of the music, clarity, timing, digging deeper into music to reveal more, anyhow the question i'm asking is the 192 an upgrade or sideways move would be keen to here anothers opion, many thanks in advance.

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    The CD192 was the CD92's replacement. The CD72, CD73 and CD82 can all be updated to the 192, but not the CD92 (http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/upgrades.pdf), presumably because it's basically the same as the CD92 upgrade you already have.

Other than a replacement (e.g. CD37), perhaps you'd be better off looking at what may be achievable by upgrading other sections of your stereo replay chain?

3. Dermondo

Dermondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, regarding the amp it's an a80, sometimes I feel I would like a bit more umph & grunt but again unsure of route to take

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Whilst not amazingly powerful, the A80 should be able to produce deafening volumes through typical speakers, or burn them out trying.

Perhaps you could identify your speakers? These are frequently the weakest link.

5. AVch

AVch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Dermondo,

I have at this moment the Diva 192 at home for a test (I can have this player NEW, no demo or so like that..I have received a closed box and self open...) for €. 500.- ca. (I'm in Switzerland: chf. 740.- / the diva192 is discontinued)

Is a good player cd music...the FMJ36 will be much better and this one I can ti have to a great price....but my ratio music/movie is 30/70% and a Diva 192 is for me enough today....

@Mark.Yudkin.Zürick stadt oder wohnst du in der Nähe??
    (Jona - Gold Coast / Teil des Zürichsees? )
    Hast du einen direkten blick auf den Parade-Platz (mit UBS :thumbsdow)
    von deinen Haus?
    gruessen Omar

AV_Omar

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Zürich near Kilchberg. View over lake and Bellevue visible from window - but not Paradeplatz.

7. Dermondo

Dermondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah no problem the speakers are B&W dm603 s2, was thinking of an upgrade maybe, I recently had a B&W centre and the crossover went so I went a different path and purchased a jamo C600 while not biwireable it's a very nice speaker so maybe purchase a couple of mains to match

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I think looking into the speakers would be a wise move and will provide the best return on investment. Spend some time, take your own CDs and your wife with, and keep an open mind.

9. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi Dermondo,

Just a few thoughts on your question.
    As you are probably aware of, the CD92 has the dCS DAC.
    And that probably explains the major improvement over the CD72 you had before.
    Upgrading to CD192 will get rid of those tremendous DAC's to get back to (correct me if I'm wrong) some more common Wolfson DAC's.
    Just to let you know, dCS now produces it's own CD players on an evolution of the RING DAC that sits in your CD92 and the cheapest machine released is about 5000£...
    See for yourself ;-)

Just to let you know : I have a CD23T (which also has the dCS RING DAC), and would not exchange it... except maybe for a Linn Unidisk 2.1 or 1.1 because those also offer SACD ability.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

10. Dermondo

Dermondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah the ring dac is held in high regard thats why I am careful of getting rid, but maybe the fmj23 could be an option as it has the same dac as the 92