1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam CD82

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Rye, Jan 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rye

Rye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on upgrading my hi fi system at the moment and can't decide where to start. I have the following (try not to laugh)

Tuner - Pure DRX 701ES
    CD Player - Sherwood CD 3050
    Amp - Pioneer A400
    Speakers - Mordant Short MS10i

I have contemplated the Arcam CD82, the Rotel RA02 amp, the Quad 11L speakers and even a Rotel pre and power amp. I can't decide. If anyone can provide either opinions or suggestions (or even reviews if you own one of the above or something particularly good) please do.

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello Rye,

I have the Rotal RA-01 amy and it is very good, IMO. I have this partenered with the Rotel RCD-02 which I also like, but you seem to have aleady chosen the Arcam which is amazing by all accounts.

I may be controvertial now, but I think that the Qual 11L's are poor. I have auditioned them on a number of occasions and find them to be lacking in a number of areas. I will agree that they have good levels of detail, but the sound field is so small, and the bass is non existent. In the same sitting I also listened to Mission 780 SE's, Dynaudio Audience 42's, B&W 602 S3's and Monitor Audio S2's. I purchased the S2's because I like their sound the best, but the Dynaudios also have a very detailed sound, with nice bass weight and a real openess to their music. I rated the Missions 3rd, but these were also very nice speakers. The B&W's were also good, but the cabinet is HUGE, and the Quads last for their poor showing.

When I went to do this audition, I had my mind set on the Quads, mostly due to the What Hi-fi review, but upon hearing them (I actualy heard 2 sets to make sure) they sounded very lacking. The one point I do agree with What Hi-fi on is that they look very nice indeed, maybe if you could buy the Quads for looks, and have another pair of speakers for the sound??;) Only joking.

I would just like to say that all of the above is purely my opinion, and the best thing you could do is go and have a listen yourself.

Hope this has helped.

Rob

3. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Depends on what you're after and how much cash you want to spend. I've just got a CD82 along with Arcam A85 amp and KEF Q5 speakers, sounds good to my ears give a few things a demo

4. Rye

Rye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump....

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    What's your budget?

Rotel RA01 / RCD02 / B&W 601s3 are good for the money ... on the other hand so is Music Fidelidy A308 Amp, A308CD and a pair of B&W Nautilus 803s ... it's all down to your budget.

Victoria

6. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I loved the Quad 11Ls... only speakers that approach (possibly surpass) the B&W 602S3s in that price range.

I auditioned the CD82 against the CD72 for hours... in the end I didn't hear enough of a difference to spend the extra cash (listened with B&W CDM7NTs and Arcam A85).

7. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi

u gotta try out the sound on this player ... it rocks

definately worth every 400 of yer pounds

great cd mechanism too

ENJOY!

:smashin:

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Personally, keep everything except the CD, buy the Arcam CD player first, you may find you are happy with your other items.

9. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I agree with what this guy says. I have the Rotel RA-01 amplifier, and it really is an excellent amplifier. Despite its lower power rating, its quite powerful sounding, and maintains control of almost any speaker you throw at it. Sonically, it surpasses earlier Rotel designs, according to the guy in the shop (and no, this wasnt when I was buying the amp). The RCD-02 player is ok I feel, but I want for a bit more drive. However, its detailed, and the timing is excellent, but the bass is a little lightweight.

Now, onto speakers, I have also got to agree with this guy on the Quads. I auditioned the Quad 11L's, Mission M51's, B&W 602S3's and KEF Q1's to go with this amplifier.

The Quad's were an extreme dissapointment to my ears. They sounded small, shut-in and strained, put some techno on them, and the bass slows down and loses the plot. They looked brill, but didnt sound anywhere near as good as they looked, and frankly, I do not know where all the rave reviews have come from.

OTOH, the Mission M51's, which have received bad reviews in some magazines (and yet won awards in others :confused:), came across as the best partner for this amp. The treble was transparent, detailed, open and smooth, the bass has wonderful tightness and surprising depth, and the speaker generally has a forward, lively nature that suits this amp down to the ground.

I'd have been happy to have the KEF or B&W in the system, but the KEF didnt sound as alive as the Mission, and B&W needed more volume to come on song, and had a slightly too bright treble for me.

So, I'd recommend the Mission M51 or the aforementioned Dynaudio or Monitor Audio speakers for this amp. For me, the 780 is too power hungry and bass light, and I would choose the M51 over the 780 anyday...

http://www.groovehandle.org/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=12
    http://www.groovehandle.org/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=568