1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam cd73t and p80

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by newbie265, Oct 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just got back from sevenoaks and demoed the 3805 denon with the 3910 and was well impressed.The dealer recommended the above arcam combo which I will listen to next week .Has anyone got this combination to tell me what its like? Looking for big soundstage and good detail .they will run through the preouts to moniter audio s6's.

2. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie,

When you say P80, do you mean the A80 integrated or the P80 power amp (and you already have something to use as a pre-amp or an integrated to go with it?).

I have the CD73t linked to an A85 and have been very pleased with the results. I'm now looking at upgrading the CD73t and i'm having to look at considerably more money to improve on what I have! The great thing about the 73 is that if you decide you want to upgrade in a year or two's time, there is an upgrade path to make it into a CD192 and you virtually only pay the difference in price between the 2 players rather than shedding out the full amount for a new player again.

What may be a consideration is taking a look at the outgoing CD82/CD93 as they are being sold off at some excellent prices, before you decide on the CD73, you may get one of these are virtually the same price as a new CD73.
    Likewise if you mean the A80 amp, you could also look at the A85, again the outgoing model replaced by the A90. The A85 was the top of the Diva range and is a very nice amp. In fact there are only minor mods between the A85 and A90.

In respect of soundstage etc, I think you will find that all of this equipment can produce excellent results in the right setup and the best thing is to go have a listen!

Enjoy

Jason.

3. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The p80 is what he has written down on the sheet not sure which one it is but will be going through the denon.The price is £420 if that helps?
    as i said will be using moniter audio s6's as fronts or possibly s8's I am thinking about too with silver front and 4 sfx surrounds and svs pc plus 20-39 when it finally arrives :confused:

4. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just read your edited post and I now realise that the Denon is a multichannel unit. Makes sense what you would be trying to do now. I'm not really up on multichannel, but if you are using the denon as a preamp and the P80 as the power amp for 2 channel use, I would think that would give a nice sound. I have heard the Monitor S6 and S8 and they are a good speaker, however I found the B&W more to my taste and that is why I ended up with them. I should think this combination will give a good sound, but the ultimate test is in the listen!!

5. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No I am buying the whole kit in one go tested the denon 3805 yesterday with the 3910 dvd player and was very impressed.

6. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good. See my edited previous post now I've realised what the Denon units are!!

7. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I havent heard teh b&w but the sevenoaks guy has tehm at home and said the moniters are more musical.I think I am right in saying the b& w are more basey which is why I was thinking s8's , my room is 24 x12 listening are 12x12 .How do the s8's compare to s6's though obvious my svs would take care of bass for films.

8. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The other thing is teh p80 is only 65w per channel would this be enough power for my size room?

9. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that the B&W 704's had a warmer more open sound. The clarity is excellent and as I listen to a lot of acoustic music this, to me was a better match to my music. I think the Monitor's certainly are a more punchy speaker but not quite as refined as the B&W. It really depends on the music you will listen to and your taste really. I would say that the S8 had the egde over the S6 as it seemed to have a broader sound if my memory serves me correctly, but I've heard quite a few since then and it was a little while ago! If you want a wide open soundstage, try the B&W aswell, worst that can happen is you will like them and end up spending a bit more!!!

10. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that my musical varies from beatles,led zepelin,who,floyd,genesis,prog rock to depeche mode, jarre to acoustic stuff like later talk talk,staeve hackett and lots of live music so pretty much a broad range .

11. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi newbie i have 3802 arcam 73t did have bwcdm1nts previously, not heard the 704 but have been told they are a bit more friendly /warmer than cdm1nts, found the cdms very good for accoustic type of music , i also like genisis but found the cdms just a bit too fatiging with anything of a more aggresive nature.

the 3805 seems to be better in 2 channel than the 3802 however.

12. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie,
    I wouldn't worry too much about the room size as far as the power amp is concerned. My understanding of power amps is generally the more power you have, the better control it will have over your speakers and the easier it will be to drive them. I think as far as matching equipment to room size is concerned, the only things you really need to match to your room size are your speakers. Some speakers are well suited to small rooms and can be situated close to walls etc, others won't match well in those conditions.
    Choose your speakers first and these will generally have a preferred power rating ie: max & min power handling. Then you can choose a power amp to suit, but if you aim at the higher end of the power rating, if possible, your amp should then have a tighter control over your speakers and hold things together better when the music is more demanding. I know my speakers can be quite hard to drive as they have quite sharp impedance drops at some levels and eventually I will either bi-amp or change my amplifier completely to something more powerful. I don't know what the S6's or S8's are like to drive but the max power handling for them shown in a magazine I have are 120 watts and 175watts respectively. The P80, I would think, should drive these OK but I would check with someone who knows a bit more about these speakers to see if it is well suited.