Arcam CD73

leon

would the older cd73 sound better or worse on cd playback than the dv139 ?

thanks

Mark.Yudkin

would the older cd73 sound better or worse on cd playback than the dv139 ?
I would expect the top of line FMJ DV139 to better the entry level Diva CD73, on CD replay, but obviously you should try it for yourself.

Since the DV139 can also play multichannel SACDs and DVD-As, as well as normal DVD, I'd have thought the question was more one of "how much more is it worth paying?".

norks27

I had a CD93, higher model than the CD73, switched to a DV139 for CD playback.

In my opinion the DV139 outclassed the CD93, the former is more revealing and musical, more life to the sound.

So I'd have no doubt that the DV139 would be superior for CD playback to the CD73.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Interesting to hear as I happen to own a CD73 myself. I was quite impressed with it through my AV9 in direct mode and biamped by my P25/3 and P1000 into the PMCs. Might be an option in the future if I don't end up with an Oppo 83/93/95 sometime as it would give me back SACD support too. If it's not any higher than the CD73 I won't have any trouble fitting it in either (sneaks off to check the dimensions of said players ;)).

leon

thanks for the info i sold my 139 a year ago with the idea of buying the new bdp but after seeing it i need to get a cd player to fill the gap until the oppo bdp95 comes out ,ive seen a cd73 locally for £200 wasn't sure if it would match the fmj139 :(

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
That seems a bit steep for a CD73 as I think I paid about £130 for mine earlier this year. ;)

Mark.Yudkin

What's wrong with your Oppo 83 as a stop-gap solution for CD replay - it is after all, only a temporary solution?

leon

yes the 83 is ok on cd's but not great and i miss the 139 sound .. i am waiting for the oppo 95 but that is delayed till April and maybe even longer ,

just need a cd player to fill the gap until April . my local Hi-Fi shop is lending me a NAIM cd5i next week and a rega saturn .
they said the sound might be what i am looking for..
i guess that cd73 sounds over the top in price it was local to me but i think i might go new,

gscholefield

yes the 83 is ok on cd's but not great and i miss the 139 sound .. i am waiting for the oppo 95 but that is delayed till April and maybe even longer ,

just need a cd player to fill the gap until April . my local Hi-Fi shop is lending me a NAIM cd5i next week and a rega saturn .
they said the sound might be what i am looking for..
i guess that cd73 sounds over the top in price it was local to me but i think i might go new,
it might be worth trying the Arcam cd17 aswell, when i tried it against my dv139 i found myself doing more foot tapping:smashin: a nice little player that can be had for a decent price.
Gary

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom