1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam CD73, A65 what speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Yards, Sep 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Yards

Yards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just brought my first system, Arcam CD73 and the A65 intergrated
    amp. Now looking for a fine set of speakers to match my system recommendations would be a big help! Budget of around 600-800 pounds, just about to purchase the Monitor Audio silver 6s ? Wise decision?
    Any feed back would great!

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Yards,

I used to own the MA 6's and i have to say they were a very fine speaker for movies and for music lots of nice bass and their top end was very sweet indeed, they better the B&W 603 s3 speakers by along margin.
    Personally i would say you are spending your money wisely ;)

John :)

3. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have some s'6 with an arcam a85 and 73t, and they sound great, very detailed with good bass extension. the only thing to worry about is the bass. i used to have unruly bass with my old nad c370 amp, but obviously depends upon placement room type etc.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Yards,
    Don't know if you're interested but I have a set of s6's for sale in the classifieds. If you live in the southwest area you may be interested.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitor audio'd whole silver series do suit the style of arcam, if you want a bit more energy though try the Acoustic energy Aelite3 £750 BIG floorstander well worth a demo!

6. Yards

Yards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John thanks for your advice, I've almost made my mind up!
    Just out of intrest how come you don't own them at the moment,
    and what did you run them with.

7. Yards

Yards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Bobby

I see your in AV sales, perhaps you could recommend a good set of interconnects, and speaker cable to run the Arcam system I have!
    Budget of around 150-200 pounds for inter and 20-30per meter with the
    speaker cable. Is that to much or not enough.

8. Yards

Yards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Knightshade but I live in New Zealand might be a bit of a mish
    getting them here! Why are you selling them, upgrading I guess.

9. Yards

Yards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Airdrawn
    You pretty happy with the system you've got? I'm already thinking about up grading my amp I find the A65 lacks a bit of get up and go!
    What cables are you running and how much did you pay for them?
    Your the first person I have come across with a very similar system.

Thanks for your advice.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Aaahh... Sleepy old Christchurch. Lucky devil!
    The reason i'm selling is because they're collecting dust in my cupboard at the moment which seems a waste.
    I know I'm butting in a bit hear but have you tried old fashioned twin and earth electrical cable as speaker cable. Or if your looking for something a little better easily the equivilent of £40 per metre cabling CAT 5 Network cable?
    Don't be fooled into thinking you have to spend loads on cable to get something good. If your up for a spot of DIY you can save the few hundred and throw it at better equipment.
    HTH

11. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with my setup. was running nad stuff not too long ago and the arcam stuff is soooo much better, but as always its down to personal choice. i run dnm reson interconnect's and qed silver anni biwire spkr cable. i found the MA s6 to boomy and lacking in detail with my nad c370 amp and c541i player, however, the a85 really improved it, giving great grip and masses of detail and the player helped even more. have never been a huge fan of the arcam sound, finding it a bit too clinical, but with the S6's they really do sing and sound much more 'hifi' if you like.

12. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would be interested to give some cat 5 a go. how do you make the runs up, and can it be biwired easy enough?

cheers

13. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yards, i have recently tried some chord chorus interconnects, and they were a marked improvement over my dnm reson, the bass was more tunefull and the sound a little more 'rounded'. they are pricey though at about £150 for .8m. cheaper second hand. i'm short of funds at the mo, but as soon as i can, i'll be buying them.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Yards,

I had a massive upgrade on all my speakers and wanted to be really solely for movies or should i say DVD's, so i changed everything to M&K running off my Yamaha Z9.
    For Music i use a CYRUS system and use my PROAC Response d15's so i did not need to keep the MA s6's, but i will still say that they are a very sweet sounding speaker and very good buy for around £600 mark.

John :)