Arcam cd62

Hi, thanks for reading this.

I have been offered an Arcam cd62 CDP for a very reasonable price, and will probably go ahead and buy it. My present CDP is a Marantz CD5400p and I have it partnered with an Arcam BlackBox 500 DAC, a combination I am not really happy with (the weak link is very probably the 5400p).

My question is, will the CD62 outperform the BB500, or is there some benefit in just using the CD62 as a transport through the BB500?

Mike

Helicon

Banned
As a transport, i don't think the 62 will be a huge difference, if any at all. Whether the 62 on it's own matches the BB500, it's hard to say without a direct comparison. But the BB500 was good. If it's not, you could upgrade the 62 later on to one of the more expensive Arcams. Something like the 192 should be better than the BB500.

As a transport, i don't think the 62 will be a huge difference, if any at all. Whether the 62 on it's own matches the BB500, it's hard to say without a direct comparison. But the BB500 was good. If it's not, you could upgrade the 62 later on to one of the more expensive Arcams. Something like the 192 should be better than the BB500.
Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons i suspect the Marantz as being the weak link is that it is only causing the 'source' LED to illuminate on the BB500, this, according to the manual, indicates that a low quality source is present. If i substitute a cheap DVD player, the 'Class A' LED lights up and a high frequency white noise, present when the Marantz is connected, disappears. (this noise is only noticeable at high volumes)

Mike

Helicon

Banned
Along with possible future upgrading, it sounds like it's worth doing then :)

mcguiganp

Novice Member
Along with possible future upgradung, it sounds like it's worth doing then :)

Watch out, the CD62 can't be upgraded. It is basically the same as the CD72 except for the fact that the CD72 CAN be upgraded, you pay a little more for the upgrade option on the CD72. I have the CD72 and can safely say it isan excellent player, I would highly recommend it. You could always add a dac at a later date to the cd62 if you want to upgrade in that direction. :smashin:

Helicon

Banned
Thanks for pointing that out :)

Watch out, the CD62 can't be upgraded. It is basically the same as the CD72 except for the fact that the CD72 CAN be upgraded, you pay a little more for the upgrade option on the CD72. I have the CD72 and can safely say it isan excellent player, I would highly recommend it. You could always add a dac at a later date to the cd62 if you want to upgrade in that direction. :smashin:
Not really after upgrading the '62, just for use as a transport with my BB500 DAC. Incidentally, if anyone knows how to fix the issue with my 5400p, i would be grateful. It is well out of warranty now.

Mike

mcguiganp

Novice Member
Not really after upgrading the '62, just for use as a transport with my BB500 DAC. Incidentally, if anyone knows how to fix the issue with my 5400p, i would be grateful. It is well out of warranty now.

Mike
The CD62 will be a good transport. I use the same Sony transport in the CD72 feeding an xdacv3, the result is very good, IMHO ;)

WIth regard to your Marantz it sounds as if either an op-amp is maybe on the blink or maybe the crystal (clock), difficult to really say without having a look at the schematics. COuld be the transport (laser), have you tried cleaning the lens? I know it's a longshot but worth a try . Either way the CD62 would be a good buy, either using it as a transport or utilising it's excellent Burr Brown dac.:smashin:

The CD62 will be a good transport. I use the same Sony transport in the CD72 feeding an xdacv3, the result is very good, IMHO ;)

WIth regard to your Marantz it sounds as if either an op-amp is maybe on the blink or maybe the crystal (clock), difficult to really say without having a look at the schematics. COuld be the transport (laser), have you tried cleaning the lens? I know it's a longshot but worth a try . Either way the CD62 would be a good buy, either using it as a transport or utilising it's excellent Burr Brown dac.:smashin:
Thanks for the reply. The problem is only on the digital out. If i connect directly to the preamp, there is no noise. I have a cheap Sony DVD connected now and there is no noise. I'm just about to take a look at the schematic to see where the problem may be, could be a dry joint. I can email you the schematic if you want.

Mike

mcguiganp

Novice Member
I'll pm you my email address

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom