1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam CD33 vs Cyrus CD8x

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by David-Bel, Feb 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was initially planning to demo the CD192 vs the CD8x from Cyrus, but finally brought back home the FMJ CD33 together with the Cyrus.

The reason why I picked the CD33 is because my local dealer hadn't received the CD192 yet and also because I unexpectedly upgraded my amp to an FMJ A32. After several glitches with my A90 that needed two consecutive replacement of the front board, I finally had it replaced - thanks to the support of my local dealer. I took this opportunity to make the upgrade to the A32 by just paying the price difference, which Arcam kindly accepted. And BTW, that helped a lot to remove the bitter taste that had left my very first purchase of an Arcam product :thumbsup:

Now before saying anything else about the two players, I want to make things clear from the outset. These are two truly excellent cd players. No doubt about it. I could tell immediately that they are both a major step up compared to my Cambridge Audio 640C, which is already awesome for the price. I felt that detail, speed, dynamic and bass control are the major areas that benefit from the CD8x and the CD33.

Other than that, they both have a hugely different sonic signature. And in the end, it really comes down to a matter of personal preference. In MHO, the Arcam has the tendency to put high frequencies forward. It is a tad bright but never harsh at all. It has bags of detail and refinement and overall gives an impression of being far more analytical. To me the Cyrus seems more rounded.Yet isn't less detailed. Its medium seems more ample and airy and gives a true sense of realism. All in all, it provides with a more analog-like sound.

Both are truly enjoyable really, but in the end my preference goes to the Cyrus. And I still haven't tried it with its external power supply (PSX-R)...
    Again, I haven't tried to find which one is best, I'm afraid it is absolutely pointless anyway. But I rather tried to find out which one best suit my ears.

Hope it helps for those of you who want to narrow down their choice.
    Cheers,

David

2. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received my A32 today together with my CD8x + PSX-R. This combo is absolutely awesome!!!

3. silvertone

silvertone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you David !! I just bought the CD8x and I'm driving it with the AVI Lab Series Integrated, I'm in audio heaven !!!!!!!! I haven't watched TV in two days!!

4. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great amp Silverstone!
    And If you still got the cash, try the external power supply with your CDP. You'll love it.
    There was one on ebay a week ago and now I see another one together with a cd-7. Don't know whether the guy (from Italy I guess) would sell it separately. ;)

Cheers,
    David