Arcam cd players, help wanted

amebix1

Standard Member
Reaction score
can anybody recommend an arcam cd player that plays back cd-r's & mp3's burned onto cd-r's without any hassle. was tempted by a mint diva cd73 at the weekend but seller didn't recommend it for this purpose, currently have marantz cd6004 that plays everything without any fuss.

I wouldn't imagine there was much call for mp3 playback but I know some of their DVD players could do it so maybe worth looking at those if you particularly wanted an Arcam model.

Plenty of quality players that are able to do so that are currently being produced. Difficult to find full specs for the Arcam.

Plenty of quality players that are able to do so that are currently being produced. Difficult to find full specs for the Arcam.
Yeah, figured as much, was hoping an owner would reply, I'm happy with my marantz but would love to try a different brand of player that can drag some more detail out, that doesn't cost a fortune and can play all my discs, I have no interest in SACD, the old Sony es models are pricey secondhand, the newer Denon models claim CDR playback but have problems, plenty of old arcam players out there, so thought I would ask👍

Yeah, figured as much, was hoping an owner would reply, I'm happy with my marantz but would love to try a different brand of player that can drag some more detail out, that doesn't cost a fortune and can play all my discs, I have no interest in SACD, the old Sony es models are pricey secondhand, the newer Denon models claim CDR playback but have problems, plenty of old arcam players out there, so thought I would ask👍
Any of the Arcam models from the Diva and FMJ ranges should be fine with CD-R, but MP3 will be the challenge. Unless a current or former owner comes along and confirms, you might have to do some searching and dredge up the specs of those older machines.

Unless you’re absolutely set on an Arcam, why change? A Diva Arcam of this period will be no better than your Marantz which reads the discs you want.

Unless you’re absolutely set on an Arcam, why change? A Diva Arcam of this period will be no better than your Marantz which reads the discs you want.
Thanks for the help, saw a review of the cd73, sounded like it could give me a new flavour & maybe more detail but if my marantz has caught up with it given the age difference between the players, then I will just keep an eye out for a cd6006 UK or 6700 at a good price and save a lot of grief lol, only payed £100 for my 6004, shame that arcam wouldn't play everything, it was mint for £90.

You'll be amazed what a decent external DAC can do to a disk transport

You'll be amazed what a decent external DAC can do to a disk transport
dacs seem to be the way these days but if it costs more for a dac that will improve the sound than a new cd player or a vintage bargain as i was originally looking at, then i will just keep waiting and checking for prices etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom