1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam cd players and HDCD

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by kid rock, Nov 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can anyone tell me which of the current crop of Arcam cd players support HDCD decoding.It seems to me that only the DVd players ie the dv79 support this type of decoding.

ATB
    Kid rock

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not current but the FMJ CD23 did. Just picked one up off ebay.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    All current Arcam CD players will play HDCDs but not perform the extra HDCD decoding. The last ones to do this were the CD92T and CD23T. The issue has been the discontinuation of the relevant Pacific Microsonics decodoing/digital filter chips a couple of years ago.

All Arcam DVD players will decode HDCD discs and they fully support the requirements of the standard including gain ranging in the analogue domain.
    This is possible because the Zoran MPEG decoders have the correct algorithm implemented on their audio DSPs (and because we pay the required licence fee to Microsoft!).

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And very impressive they sound too compared to ordinary CD replay, just a shame there aren't more HDCD discs around.

SMCC - a happy CD92T owner.

5. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I really want to get an all Arcam lineup on my heaving hifi rack having already got the AVR 300 and yesterday a brand new a90 .

I have managed to build up a great collection of HDCD discs- over 50 in fact out of a total collection of 2000 though. However I was wondering whether to get the brand new FMJ dvd player and replacing my dvd player -a Pioneer 868 avi and my cd player which is a Rotel rcd 971 (which was 500 pounds 5 years ago and has fantastic HDCD decoding). Would the new FMj dvd player be roughly comparable to the above mentioned Rotel or say a 500 pounds dedicated cd player???

Cheers

Kid Rock

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Frankly the DV29 is rather better than a mid range CD player in our opinion. I don't know about the Rotel 971 specifically as I haven't heard one. But of course you should not take our word for it and should try to get an audition before you buy!

Hope this helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)