1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam cd 62t running in & 72t differences

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by teabelly, Jul 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just bought a 62t and I am currently running it in but I have noticed that the sound is slightly glassy in the treble. It is particularly noticeable on female vocals and they sound like they have an 'edge'. I don't know whether this will go away (it has had about 20 hours of use) or whether I should really get a 72t as I demo'd that and it didn't sound so edgy but got the 62t to save the difference. It isn't always obvious and it doesn't seem so noticeable when the player is stone cold. It is partnered with an arcam alpha 9 & mission 753 mk IIs using maplin silver interconnects and speaker cable.

Any thoughts?

2. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    you should get the 72T because you can at some later date upgrade it to the 82 T the 62 t you can do this

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I went for the 72t for the future upgrade which you can't do with the 62. I found the 72 to sound great out of the box. I also understand that you can even upgrade to 92/93 spec from the CD72.

4. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I might try the 72t to see whether that is any less hissy. I knew about the upgrade potential but thought I probably wouldn't use it as I only buy a new cd player once every 4/5 years. It depends on the cost of the upgrades between specs too as it could be cheaper to trade in the old player to buy a better spec one.

I have pinpointed the annoyance with the treble. Vocalists mostly sound like they have diction problems and sometimes even a lisp! It could be that all the singers I like can't form their words properly and the extra detail in this player shows it up :(

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The cost of upgrading a CD72 to 82 or 92 spec is in the UK currently the difference in suggested retail price between the models plus £50.

The CD62 does not sound harsh IMO and I would try substituting some different cables in the system, irrespective of which player you settle on. It's sometimes hard to understand why some cables have such an effect in some systems but I've come across it enough times in my life to suggest this. Please don't ask me for specific recommendations - talk to your dealer and try to borrow some alternatives from him.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have put a set of older silver cables on that have been well used and it sounds very clear and very detailed now. The exaggeration in vocals has disappeared and everything is sounding more natural.

Call me cheeky but could you tell me whether there are any upgrades or alternative uses for the delta 150 nicam decoders eg digital tv upgrades? I have one and it seems a shame to stop using it when analogue transmissions end as I am rather attached to it.

Cheers for your help.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Glad you got sorted - as I said cables can have a surprising effect. I sold AudioQuest for 10 years in the UK so became very used to this.

I love the expression Upgrade from Nicam to Digital TV! It's about the same as the guy who wrote to us saying he was going to buy an Arcam Alpha 9 CD palyer and that the upgrade to support DVD was just software wasn't it?

I still use my Delta150 BTW. It will be quite a while before analogue TV stops in my opinion - hang onto it.

John Dawson (Arcam)