Arcam, Cables, Interconnects(Not Again!)

666monkeyboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick query that hopefully a few of the knowledgeable might be able to assit me with.

I'm currently in the processing of purchasing some HI-Fi/Audio gear and was wondering whether you good people could advise on cables/interconnects/etc.

The gear that I'm purchasing is the Arcam AV9 and P7 pre/power amp. I will be pairing this with an Arcam DV139. I'm wanting to use the DVD-A and SACD audio on the dv139. QUestion I was wondering is basically how many cables will I need?

Regarding Speakers, the initial plan is to operate a 4.1 system(adding sub at a later stage, so does this actually make the system a 4.0?) I'm wanting to bi-wire the fronts. This system will also incorporate a centre and rears.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting in regards to getting the system wired up and ready?

I was offered some Chord Chameleon SIlver + and was wondering how these stacked up say against the Mark Grant stuff?(I read some good reviews on his cables and they are a fraction of the cost of the CHord stuff)

Thanks and all help and suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Mb

3 pairs (6 singles) of interconnects for DV139 to AV9
3.5 pairs (7 singles) for AV9 to P7 as the bi-amp channels will require you to link two blocks together for each biamplified speaker.

This assuming you have a centre speaker and sub. You can do without but I wouldn't advise it. In fact I have never tried using a 5.1 SACD or DVD-A and then telling the DV139 that in-fact we don't want two of those channels!!

Hello, I use Chord Chameleon on my p7, coming from an avr600, upgraded from chord cobra 3, i thought it was worth it, much more bass and midrange for me. I upgraded speaker cable from qed silver xt, to chord odyssey 2, and then to Naim speaker cable. The Chord was a massive upgrade, but left a hard edge which i didnt like, The Naim although alot cheaper, actually gave a tad more detail and texture, without the hard edge. I think it is a brilliant cable.:)

Hi guys,

Just a quick query that hopefully a few of the knowledgeable might be able to assit me with.

I'm currently in the processing of purchasing some HI-Fi/Audio gear and was wondering whether you good people could advise on cables/interconnects/etc.

The gear that I'm purchasing is the Arcam AV9 and P7 pre/power amp. I will be pairing this with an Arcam DV139. I'm wanting to use the DVD-A and SACD audio on the dv139. QUestion I was wondering is basically how many cables will I need?

Regarding Speakers, the initial plan is to operate a 4.1 system(adding sub at a later stage, so does this actually make the system a 4.0?) I'm wanting to bi-wire the fronts. This system will also incorporate a centre and rears.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting in regards to getting the system wired up and ready?

I was offered some Chord Chameleon SIlver + and was wondering how these stacked up say against the Mark Grant stuff?(I read some good reviews on his cables and they are a fraction of the cost of the CHord stuff)

Thanks and all help and suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Mb

Hi there you will infact be using as a 5.0 system so make sure you tell the av9 and dv139 there is no sub and the low frequencies will be re directed to the main speakers (hoping they are full range or defo get a sub). Let me know the room size and speakers used for further info. Oh the P7 needs switching on after the av9 and before the av9 is shut down,unless you pick up a trigger cable(plenty of them around) so as to switch off via the remote(the P7 has no remote controll funtions other than that):)

Hello, I use Chord Chameleon on my p7, coming from an avr600, upgraded from chord cobra 3, i thought it was worth it, much more bass and midrange for me. I upgraded speaker cable from qed silver xt, to chord odyssey 2, and then to Naim speaker cable. The Chord was a massive upgrade, but left a hard edge which i didnt like, The Naim although alot cheaper, actually gave a tad more detail and texture, without the hard edge. I think it is a brilliant cable.:)

What speakers do you have a1000bhp?

Took delivery of P7 & AV9 today and have spent the last 4 hours rediscovering my cd collection. I ordered Mark Grant canare cables on Sunday to connect P7/AV9, received emails of order and shipping confirmation and they arrived by recorded delivery yesterday. For £50, the service and sound(to my untrained ears) seem very hard to beat.

Charlie

Pioneer 5080xd, Marantz SR5300(AV9/P7 on Order), CA 640 v2, Phillips DVP5980, Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo threes(Fronts), centre & ones(Rears)

Go with Chord Chameleon Silver Plus

I have these to connect my DV139 - A32 - P35/3

I was sceptical to whther I would notice any difference, but I did.

Took delivery of P7 & AV9 today and have spent the last 4 hours rediscovering my cd collection. I ordered Mark Grant canare cables on Sunday to connect P7/AV9, received emails of order and shipping confirmation and they arrived by recorded delivery yesterday. For £50, the service and sound(to my untrained ears) seem very hard to beat.

Charlie

Pioneer 5080xd, Marantz SR5300(AV9/P7 on Order), CA 640 v2, Phillips DVP5980, Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo threes(Fronts), centre & ones(Rears)

Hi charlie im glad you are having fun hope its been, dare i say an emotional experience digging out the cds.As for conecting the av9 to the P7 i have not heard the M grants but only hear good things and that seems to continue.As for myself i always liked the vdh 102 mark 3 hybrid when i owned the a32/p35 so picked up 3 more sets 0.5m for about £35 per pair (great price for that cable) when i got the av9/p7 and i found them to be just the right side of neautral for the "warm"p7.

Have many more hours of fun and when you can, try and upgrade a bit at a time,maybe the dvd player if you are happy with the spkrs for now.:)

I'll be hooking the Arcam up to Kef's. I'm going to be using fronts, centre and rears to start and plan to add a sub in the near future(need to demo a few - musicality is a big thing for me so I'm hoping to get a sub that will work well with music as well as movies).

The fronts will be Kef Reference 203/2, Centre 204/2c and XQ20's for the rears.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Naim cable. I was using the Naim speaker cable from my Nait 5i into my older Kef's so I'm pretty tempted to try this with the Arcam and Kef gear.

Still divided on interconnects wonder if I should get a selection of both The Chord Chameleon and Mark Grant and see what results I get from either one.

I recently saw in a picture the very same Arcam gear (with Amphion speakers), the cables were Atlas Navigator All Cu and Chord Epic. Good luck!

In fact I have never tried using a 5.1 SACD or DVD-A and then telling the DV139 that in-fact we don't want two of those channels!!

I can confirm that the DV137 works just fine on SACDs without a centre - the DV139 should be the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom