Arcam bdp-100 or Oppo 93or95 which One

jatbass

Banned
:lease:Hi need help on deciding which one to go for please, any thoughts, is the Arcam player better than the Oppo? or the other way round.My amp is the avr400 to match.

Has anyone tested both together?
Or should I just buy a PS3?

Thanks

Avi

Distinguished Member
is the Arcam player better than the Oppo? or the other way round.My amp is the avr400 to match.

At what and how do you define better ?

It very much depends on your priorities and requirements. If you plan to use DVD-A or SACD or multi-channel analogue output then the Arcam is a non starter. Similarly if you don't like the enhanced by default look of the Broadcom again the Arcam doesn't provide any adjustment to bypass this processing. If you plan to use 3D it's unclear if the Arcam will support this and if it will at some point at what cost. The list of differences goes on.

Audio is highly subjective so the best way to establish if one sounds "better" than another is first hand listening in your own setup. If you plan to use HDMI the only reason to spend more money on the Arcam is a cosmetic match to your existing kit but perhaps at a cost to performance.

IIRC there's some feedback re the Arcam CD37 and Oppo 95 re audio in the Oppo 95 thread in the Blu-ray player forum.

Avi

Last edited:

Damian1978

The BDP100 was great for CDs and DVDs sounding similar to the DV139 via 2 channel out but the edge enhancement to BDs was something that started to put me off.

Also the drive mechanism can be noisy at times. I got shut of mine for a DV139 and PS3. However, I'm now using a Yamaha BD S667 which gives a very natural BD picture very similar to the PS3 so that's gone now too.

It's quieter and quicker than the BDP100 was and supports HDCD and network playback for £158 delivered so...... :-D

ritchief

jatbass,

Speaking from experience, and having owned both, I would go for the Oppo 93 or 95. They work first time out of the box !. In my opinion, the Oppo picture quality is better, load times are very quick, the user interface is more user friendly...and I suppose to put the icing on the cake the 93 is 50% cheaper !!, thus giving you more cash for BR's etc..

Rich.

jayman_1975

Standard Member
Get an Oppo 93 upgraded by The Upgrade Company and you will never look back. Mine is amazing.

jatbass

Banned
Thanks guys it looks like the oppo 93, Is the pq really that good compared with a ps3, I have now ruled out the Arcam due to price, the unit I buy will be mainly for blu-ray and 3d.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys it looks like the oppo 93, Is the pq really that good compared with a ps3, I have now ruled out the Arcam due to price, the unit I buy will be mainly for blu-ray and 3d.

Despite what you may hear a 1080p/24 Blu-ray image is near reference from the PS3. Unlike some players the PS3 doesn't enhance the Blu-ray image in an attempt to create a synthetically sharper image or apply filters to reduce noise. The Oppo does offer a range of user adjustable enhancement settings that can sharpen or reduce noise etc that can be applied to Blu-ray. Properly setup and calibrated there is little difference in 1080p/24 Blu-ray image between the Oppo and PS3.

For DVD you may achieve better results by tuning town the sharpness control from 0 to a minus number as the Oppo has a tendency to add halo artefacts to scaled DVD.

Avi

jatbass

Banned
Despite what you may hear a 1080p/24 Blu-ray image is near reference from the PS3. Unlike some players the PS3 doesn't enhance the Blu-ray image in an attempt to create a synthetically sharper image or apply filters to reduce noise. The Oppo does offer a range of user adjustable enhancement settings that can sharpen or reduce noise etc that can be applied to Blu-ray. Properly setup and calibrated there is little difference in 1080p/24 Blu-ray image between the Oppo and PS3.

For DVD you may achieve better results by tuning town the sharpness control from 0 to a minus number as the Oppo has a tendency to add halo artefacts to scaled DVD.

Avi

Wow so If I get a ps3 it should do the job no problem if setup well, now deciding on a ps3, since all I want to do is play blu-ray films generally and I like the idea it is 3d.Has anyone tried this linked to the Arcam avr400 does it intergrate well, also thinking of replacing my 42 with the new philips 58" 21/9 tv or a 3d projector.

Damian1978

The PS3 is an excellent BD player. Bare in mind it will do 3D but won't pass HD audio at the same time.

Damian1978

As far as I'm aware. The Oppo and any other 1.4 HDMI enabled player would be fine though.

barrywi

3D, twin HDMI outputs so no need to upgrade my AVR 600 to 3D saving £400? looks good, feels good, remote lights up well for my challenged eyes, cheaper.Sounds wonderful on SACD. Multi region Blu Ray for £100 more
I owned the 83 before and just upgraded for 3D.
Great product.

Canti1982

Yeah the PS3 will not output 3d and hd audio at the same time due to it being hdmi 1.3.

I think you will be better off with the oppo 93 as it should do everything you want and probably more Think I'm going to go for the 95 and like barrywi says it will save me having to upgrade my AVR600 :)

Think I will end up running separate feeds to my tv and no longer use the hdmi in the amp for switching, that way I can get 3d from all my devices should I choose to and also calibrate each input.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Oppo 95 is total overkill for your amp.
The Arcam is way overpriced and buggy
Oppo 93 is perfect, but realistically you could pay less if you were only going to bitstream / reg b only to the amp?
Ps3 is good but limited.

aliea

Standard Member
If you ever gonna use the analog connection then get the 95, if not get the 93

jatbass

Banned
Thanks for the comments guys, I have just had a word with sony technical regarding earlier posts stating the ps3 will not send dolby true hd or dts if you are using 3d, Sony have just confirmed the unit will send the correct sound out even in 3d mode.

Since I only really want to play blu-rays and maybe the odd game I think the ps3 seems to be a good buy,unless the difference between the 93 is dramatically better.

spl23

Bear in mind that the PS3 may be mechanically noisier than the Oppo - I have both an original fat PS3 and a newer slimline one, and neither is silent when playing BDs - the fan on the slim is quieter than on the original, but both are far too noisy for use for critical listening. I'd expect the Oppos to be better in this respect.

Damian1978

Hmmmm....not sure Sony are right on that one.

The release notes for the firmware that enabled 3D state a couple of limitations, one being no HD audio when 3D playback is enabled.

It will output the legacy core codecs (i.e. Dolby Digital from Dolby True HD and dts from dts HD MA).

I had the link to the disclaimer somewhere but if you Google it you should find it.

jatbass

Banned
Hmmmm....not sure Sony are right on that one.

The release notes for the firmware that enabled 3D state a couple of limitations, one being no HD audio when 3D playback is enabled.

It will output the legacy core codecs (i.e. Dolby Digital from Dolby True HD and dts from dts HD MA).

I had the link to the disclaimer somewhere but if you Google it you should find it.

Thanks since its going to be sitting next to the projector I don't think it will matter.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Thanks since its going to be sitting next to the projector I don't think it will matter.

Does the lossless audio matter tho? It does for me and that would be the deal breaker if I was looking a ps3.

jatbass

Banned
Does the lossless audio matter tho? It does for me and that would be the deal breaker if I was looking a ps3.

Sorry there seems to be a mis communication here, Sony technical are saying there will be no loss of lossless audio even when running 3d or 2d, the chap said people post things on forums without the full details and if some one says it does not give dolby true hd sound when watching a 3d film people believe them, I am not saying anyone is giving false info but maybe they just have not set their machine up correctly maybe.
Any way a chap at sony technical uk called Naim confirms it will give the correct sound through a av amp wether it is true hd or dts.

After reading reviews on the ps3, I'm just concerned that the pq may not be as good as a oppo 93, also I do like the idea on moving the subtitles on the oppo. I suppose the qestion is do you pay £200 for a ps3 160gb or £499 for the oppo?

Damian1978

Check out with other owners on the PS3 forum. It's not something I got to try but heard a few people on the AVSForum having similar issues.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
After reading reviews on the ps3, I'm just concerned that the pq may not be as good as a oppo 93, also I do like the idea on moving the subtitles on the oppo. I suppose the qestion is do you pay £200 for a ps3 160gb or £499 for the oppo?

I dunno, I don't own a ps3 but loads on here do and could easily tell you. The oppo won't give you a better picture than the ps3. It may do a better job with regular dvd and analogue audio but not picture.

You might be able to artificially tweak it better with the oppo and that may be to your liking however and at the end of the day a good pic is what you like and what you decide.

I'd tend to believe just based on 3d HDMI requirements that the ps3 wouldn't be able to do it and it's been confirmed by Sony.. PS3 Gets 3D Blu-ray Support - but without Lossless Audio

Both are great players... I think you want the oppo tho. Treat yourself :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom