Arcam bang

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by smallangryboy, May 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've had my Arcam DV 88 and AVR100 since they first came out, had to replace the DV 88 no less than 3 times before I had a decent example - it really shook my faith in buying British.

To cap it all my AVR100 is now playing up. On some DVD's (not all) when it switches over to dolby Pro Logic there is a right old pop from the amp through my poor MA Silver 8's. It also decides to switch itself off from time to time. Wondered if this was a common problem or just my big streak of bad luck again. It's not been abused and has sat quietly in the same place since I unboxed it.

Obviously it's no longer under warranty, and wondered how costly this problem might be to put right ? The AVR 200 now supersedes my amp, I also wondered if mine could be upgraded to the AVR 200 for less money than buying new ?

2. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought I read in What Hi-Fi's May issue that the AV100 couldn't be upgraded... Also the AV200 rates pretty poorly in this month's edition, only 2/5. The Pioneer VSX-D2011 came out top of this price range that's of any interest for buying new. That is of course if you pay attention to What Hi-Fi! ;)

So, probably worth getting it fixed or perhaps offloading it... those bangs don't sound too rosy!

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Was thinking of jacking them both in and getting a replacement, though wouldn't want to spend the earth, maybe £600 - 800 for DVD and Reciever.

Anything spring to mind that would compliment MA silver 8 speakers and not incur the wrath of the girlfriend by looking like big lumps of scrap metal ? :)

Was thinking maybe a combo from Harman Kardon, Pioneer, or Sony ?

4. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm biased to my sexy matching gold Marantz combo of a SR5300 and DV4300 (£570-£700 combined if you shop around), but in that price bracket:

DVD players:
    - Harmon Kardon 25 (prog scan)
    - Phillips 963 SA (good sound)
    - Pioneer 656

Amps:
    - Sony 1080
    - Yamaha 630 (now v.cheap at £280)
    - Pioneer 811

Looks wise the silver sony and phillips should suit the missus, but each to their own!

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Have you seen the new HK range? Most wife-unfriendly kit around right now. Pity 'cos it sounds nice. :(

HK and Pioneer are bright & sound very diff. to Arcam (I have the AVR200), Sony sound not too far off, esp. with music. I prefer the Sony, but the gold coloured one is a bit "pimp-mobile" for my tastes.

Overall I still haven't heard an amp under £1500 which plays tunes as well as my 200. If it blew up today, I'd get another one (and add a P85/3 to beef up the fronts :devil: )

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    If I were to keep the DV 88 (as quite a few people rave about it ) other than an Arcam AVR 200 - what would you suggest to partner it ?

I guess I'd only get a couple of quid for the AVR 100 now, so budget wise £250 - 350 for a reciever.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Smallangryboy
    Try and get a demo of the nad t752 its only 5.1 but sounds great with movies and music £530 from hifi bitz if you could stretch a bit further with your budget and get the philips963sa dvd player you would have a system that can sound good in both av and music.
    PS the looks of the nad grow on you and it is very well built 16kg and its easy to go 7.1 by adding a separate 2channel amp to the pre-outs.
    Gonzo.:)

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    NAD's 7 series are probably the closest in sound to the Arcam AVR100, smallangryboy. They share the same chassis, although the NAD is a newer version with the latest features.

Alternatively the usual suspects: Yamaha 630, Denon 1803, Marantz 4300, Sony 1080, Pioneer 811.

Keep the DV88, it's still a cracking player and you'd need to spend at least £500 to match it today. It's still upgradable too.

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Nobber ... are you sure that the newer NAD 7x2 amps are related at all to the Arcam AVR100? I know the old T741 was an AVR100 in different clothing ... but not sure if that still holds true

Vikki

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi vicki
    I do believe your right the new nad t series are a new design if you read the nad website details of the new t 752 and t762 i think you will see it confirms this.
    Gonzo. :)

11. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Qoute "On some DVD's (not all) when it switches over to dolby Pro Logic there is a right old pop from the amp through my poor MA Silver 8's. "

Hi Small AngryBoy,
    I too have AVR100 which exibits the prologic to DD pop normally from my HTPC and manual switching audio on a DVD. it was sent to Arcam for it and they failed to sort it out.

i have added a Power AMP to mine which hasn't sorted the issue so it must be the processor, if i recall someone else had the same problem.

i would keep your DVD and change the processor, i think soundog is correct that the ARCAM is a NAD in a nicer box.

don't know what to suggest i'm saving my money for the Rotel RSP-1066

Jon

12. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Jon

Do you think a mid range HK reciever would partner the DV88 well ?

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Not sure Vikki, I may have been leaping to conclusions :rolleyes: . However both the 741 and 742 are side by side on NAD's website and I can't see any diffs. in the specs of the guts of each. IMO NAD are slower than most to change their chassis' and the buttons on the front of each are in the same place too. Obviously the bigger 762 is taller (possibly in a C370 chassis?), but NAD make no claims about new build on the site, raving about specs instead.

One nice thing is they guarentee the amps will easily drive 4 ohm speakers - rare in amps under £1000. :smashin:

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    The T742 may be pretty much the same amp as the 741 ... but I think the T752 and T762 are both completely new designs.

You're right though that NAD do make nice power amp sections in their kit ... I expecially like the way they've thought and let you have a hard link between the front outs and the 3 channels of the power amp on the T752 so you can decide to use the internal amps for the front left and right, or the centre back channels if you using an external power (or stereo) amp for the front 2.

Thats not quite what I said ... I said the T741 was the Arcam in a NAD style box (weather its nicer depends on your point of view). The new amps are completely different design I believe (excluding possibly the T742).

Anyway ... would a HK match the DV88 ... looks wise - definately not (I suppose the black DV88 may do) ... sound wise ... quite possibly ... the mid to high end HK kit gets good reports for Music too if thats important to you (which I guess it is as you had a AVR100).

Vikki

15. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    the switching to prologic from dd or dts is a problem that i have/ had.. not sure which cos it aint happened for a few movies. i am using the arcam dv88+ with recent software patch. thing is for some reason i swear it was the coaxial cos i tried switching over to optical and touch wood it hasnt happened since. i am not using an arcam amp like the originator of this thread has.... so i know u have moved this thread on somewhat but its just food for thought....

16. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry Sounddog, i must pay more attention to what i'm reading.

my sony does it so it's not down to the DV88, although i havn't tried optical.

Dont know i havn't heard them. as i said i'm saving for something akin to Sounddogs setup but with Dynaudio Speakers
    Have you spoken to Arcam?

Jon

17. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have had crossed words many a time with Arcam, their after sales service is apalling. I felt like the last part of their bench testing process, when I had to get the DV 88 replaced 3 times, when I bought it new.

Now it's a standard "not under warranty" or "contact your dealer" reply. Quite frankly this pisses me off, as I have been kind to the system, haven't thrashed it (too much) and paid a pretty penny when new.

Possibly my expectations have changed since my student days, I had an old Arcam Alpha 5 amp, Alpha 5 tuner and Alpha 6 CD player before the Diva stuff - they were all pretty bulletproof, 8 years not one glitch.

I don't know about you, but when I shell out £1600 for a bit of kit I expect it to last at least 10 years (that is unless I upgrade it:))