Arcam AVR750 Owners Thread

JPP, Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I need to experiment. My HDMI sources are a Motorola PVR, an Oppo 105 (also doubles as a stereo analog source) and a legacy Toshiba HD DVD player. I gather the 750, like the 600, will not decode DSD, meaning I should continue to set my Oppo to output PCM only?

You don't need to do anything; HDMI connections automatically negotiate and select compatible formats. As the AVR750 won't accept DSD, the Oppo won't try to send it and will automatically fall back to sending PCM.

It's actually quite difficult to get an Oppo to output DSD!

However in the Stereo Analog Source if you are only sending PCM i think you can leave it ON (it's designed to be ON on PCM only signals). Altough with Analog Signals, it should't make any difference i think (i only have the Arcam 750 for 2 weeks).

Correct - CD direct has no effect on analogue inputs; it only affects digital inputs (all of coax / optical and HDMI are affected though).

You don't need to do anything; HDMI connections automatically negotiate and select compatible formats. As the AVR750 won't accept DSD, the Oppo won't try to send it and will automatically fall back to sending PCM.

It's actually quite difficult to get an Oppo to output DSD!

There's an option on the Oppo Setup menu regarding the ouput of SACD format.
The Auto and PCM options ,works.

But if you choose DSD you will get no sound.

A question from a new 750 owner. ( I had a 600 before)
Downloaded the software update and it unzips into 3 sections. The third is the instructions but which of the other two goes onto a memory stick? Also do I need to sequentially do the updates or just the latest? At least I will not need a laptop to update!
Loving the 750 , definitely more detailed than the 600 which I loved too.
I cannot yet get it to connect to my cabled network, do I have to put the details in manually on the menu? Downloaded the iOS remote app and that will not connect presumably because the 750 has not locked on to the network?
Sorry more than just one question!

Just put the two files in the stick , you don't need to include the instructions.

Use a FAT formatted usb, i am not sure an NTFS format usb will work.

Where are you seen the previous versions ? i only see the latest firmware in the site.

As far as i am aware only the last firmware is availble in arcam site, and it includes all the fixes from the previous versions. Just make sure you use the correct version- Software for Europe or USA.

Regarding the App can't help...i only have Android and there's no Arcam APP for Android ! :facepalm:
But I managed to lock into my network easily, just plugged the cable,and that was it. Don't you ahve a Fixed IP or something, check the manual there are some notes regarding it, i think.

Thanks for your help I will ring my internet provider for help, luckily it is sent via microwaves and I can speak directly to a local English engineer...joy of joys!
Maybe I misread the download site. I just compared the sticky label on the box showing versions with the internet download site to see my Amp was out of date.

One more question.
When listening to cd stereo via my oppo on my 600 you could set the amp,to left and right speakers plus the sub. The only option I can find on the 750 is 5 channel stereo , but that adds the rear speakers too. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Go to Menu - Input Config - Stereo Mode . You have 4 options to configure the stereo plyaing.

You have to set this for each and every Input. They can have differente configurations per input

I can sleep again thanks !
Too many options to look for, but I knew it had to be there somewhere!
Confused me with the menus going both up and down..stupid boy.

ACtually the menus are quite simple, once you get used to it . I had a Pioneer and the number of options and menus were way more confusing and with many many more options...in excess too, and the Manual was a kinda of "nightmare" :confused:

Ok so I have set that but still the sub will not join in.

Is this via a digital connection as it won't work in analogue direct

Set the stereo as As spekarer Type or Left/Right+Sub or Sat+Sub.

Make sure in the menu ... Speaker Types, you set the Speakers correctly and the Subwoofer as On and it's croosover. A good starting point is to put all the speakers as "small", the Subwoofer on and the crossover around "80Hz". See page E-31

Is this via a digital connection as it won't work in analogue direct

Yes...if you are using "Direct" with wont' work...CDs only have left+right information, nothing will be send to the subwoofer .
You will have to use Stereo or any other mode, selected via the remote control "Mode" button bellow the number "9"

The connection is HDMI not direct but I will try the other suggestions. As it worked on my previous 600 itbhas to be possible. The speakers are all set to large, but they were on the 600. I will try setting them as small as a test and see where we go....my head hurts!

Speakers on small and all the other suggestions tried. The sub comes up immediately when I set the mode to pcm 2 plus 5 channel stereo but I get the rears on as well. Proves all the connections are there so I think I will give up for tonight

Stereo will output to fronts and subwoofers if you set it in the Menu - Input Config - Stereo Mode ...or to the fronts only. Depends of the configuration you made .

5 channel will obviously use the fronts, centre , surrounds and Suboofer if you have them all configured and On in the Speaker Types menu.

Are you running the latest firmware? I seem to recall a note in the release history about a fix to stereo+sub modes, but I may be wrong!

I have not got around to the firmware update yet so I will get that sorted asap. It could be the solution as I have double and triple checked all the settings. Thanks for that

Nope. All settings are kept the same.
After a bit of festive help please!
Trying to unzip the latest update files using a free unzip program. Seems to work but when I try to look for the unzipped files they are not in the location the program suggests.
Could any kind person out there email me the two unzipped files so that I can put them on my FAT 32 formatted usb drive please?
Address is [email protected]

Sorry forgot to say if it is not obvious that is the uk file I need not the usa version

Hum and Room Correction Issues- New AVR 750 Owner

1. I am getting some hum in all of my speakers. I can actually hear it from my seating position at zero or low volume but cannot hear the hum at normal listening levels. I have tried four different power cords to include premium cords like Nordost Vishnu and Wireworld, disconnected and reconnected every component, ran an extension cord to multiple outlets and unplugged a small fridge in the same room. No effect on the hum. When I put my ear to the speakers, the hum is in the midrange drivers. I previously owned an AVR 600 and if it hummed at all, I certainly could not hear it across the room. I guess my question is whether some hum is typical with the AVR 750 and can it be mitigated at minimal expense?

2. Also my many attempts to use the auto setup resulted in crossovers and distances that made no sense and room equalization that severely degrades the sound if engaged. On one occasion, I heard a high pitched piercing noise in my right front speaker when running the test tones. I proceeded to use my own measurements and my trusty old radio shack meter. The room correction on my 600 actually worked fairly well. Could my problem with the 750 auto setup be a defective microphone or do the algorithms just not work in some rooms?

Hmmmm....no hum on mine via speakers or the amp itself.

All speaker connections ok?

Disconnect any sources with access to an aerial

No other electronic boxes in the room?
By the way my 750 has just decided it will connect to the network so my iPad remote works. It is almost as if , like a new puppy , that it is getting settled.
Still got to do an update and sort out the lack of sub when set to stereo+sub, but bit by bit I am getting there.
On the hum subject mine is clean.
Re autosetup , all I did was feed in the speaker distances, as my experience with auto setup on the 600 was not good.

A bit off topic but a suggestion for a couple of good Blu Rays to try.
Both by Peter Gabriel ex Genesis.
The two concerts are very similar but the first recorded in 1987 live in Athens is in widescreen and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. I presume it was shot on film, maybe 35 mm. The soundtrack is re mastered into 5.1 and there is a bonus version ( studio ) of Sledgehammer in 5.1 and a second disc of videos.
The more recent 2014 Back to Front live concert in London with the same band line up is fantastic in glorious HD and again master audio 5.1.
I know the songs played are virtually the same but as a PeterGabriel fan I had to buy both. It is not often you can compare two concerts 27 years apart. There may be a bit of post dubbing here and there but it still gets the juices flowing particularly with the song " In your eyes". Buy at least one of them , you will not be disappointed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom