Arcam AVR750 or Yamaha RX-A3030 or Anthem MRX 710? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by avf20145, Feb 22, 2014.

1. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help to decide which receiver to get. I'm going for the Panasonic ZT 60inch Reference Plasma and possibly the KEF R series speakers. This is going to be a dedicated HT setup and I will purchase separate components for music. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Why don't you demo them and see which you prefer, not sure what your actually asking for...

3. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find a dealer with all 3 receivers/speakers. I just want some expert advice to help make my mind up.

4. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    They are also at w different price points. the Anthem being slightly more ex than the Yams, and the Arcam being way beyond ridiculous.

they all sound good in their own rights. It really boils down to feature set, purpose, and housing.

Yams are really good for HT. By which i mean the sound is tuned towards more emphasis on effects. So has a lot of "wow" factor. Unfortunately, music sounds unnatural. Hence the "HT isn't good for music" maxim.

That's where Anthem and Arcam are undoubtedly stronger.

The Yams will also have a pretty, intuitive interface. They should be the most userfriendly. They would also have all the bells and whistles like varous environment effects, Airplay, Streaming, USB music etc. In other words, an all-in-one box that will impress friends and please family. Wifey can just turn on and enjoy. You can then hog a dedicated stereo system. All's well with the world. O, its also 9.2.

Arcam and Anthem? Well, that's a harder choice. IMHO, a good amp is a good amp. A well mixed movie should have the effects at the right level. Doens't need any emphasis. Movies are so music driven anyway. Makes sense to have an amp that does music well.

Anthem with its latest ARC has been rated to have the best bass integration and room EQ for a mass market product; rivaling its pro level D2V prepro. It does little else except process sound. But its peerless IMHO in this regard when it comes to AVR. Read Steve Withers review of the 710.

The Arcam 750, I personally haven't heard. So I can't judge. But it definitely doesn't have as capable an EQ system as the Anthem's ARC.

If you really want to focus on SQ, I would say none of the 3. I would go for a 510 or 310 Anthem as a pre/pro (for 7.1 or 5.1), and a hefty power amp.

All AVRs are lacking in their power amp stage; even the 750 and 710.

Especially if you're looking at the Arcam 750 money, you can get change with an Anthem 510, ATI 1807 and a set of Mark Grant G1000HD interconnects.

A streamer like the WD TV Live or DuneHD will give you DLNA, internet radio and Cinavia-free media playback. Of course, that means more boxes and remote controls.

But when you watch well mastered, music based films like The Great Gatsby or Cloud Atlas, it is truly IMAX rivalling.

And I will be surprised if you think a separate stereo system is necessary.

5. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lokyc what speakers would you get for an anthem? im thinking kef or monitor audio

6. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    A loaded question. Since you're talking about Anthem, I shall give you a pedant's answer.

Its more useful to think of speakers in terms of range (budget), how loud they have to be, and amplification used.

In terms of what brand, its more a personal preference. Anthems and Arcams are neutral sounding, so the resulting sound would be the type of speaker and strain on the amplification.

the Kef Rs are what to my mind, are the beginnings of serious hifi. the equivalent price bracket as the MA Silver RX, B&W CMs etc.

Personally, I'm not fond of the MAs. I find their upper range colouration a bit much and fatigueing. Lacks a bit of sweetness. Kef UniQs are an acquired taste. B&Ws are usually the most neutral and have mass appeal.

They all could do with a good power amp though, to bring the best out of them. That's definitely the case for the Kefs and B&Ws.

7. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anthem recommend paradigm speakers... what do you think?

8. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Well, they are the same company! They will allso recommend Paradigm subs with PBK, which is ARC applied to subs only.

When it comes to speaker matching, what matters is the colouration of the amp does not overlap wth the colouration of the speaker. And if the amp has adequate juice to drive the speaker.

IMHO, there should be no colouration.

Amplification is a harder question. Speaker ratings are as helpful as amp ratings. Impedence and curent demands fluctuate. Some speakers will clip more easily than others. hence I suggest a power amp to take that out of the equation.

A speaker inadequately driven will sound harsh. they will also not be able to reveal their true colours. I was surprised how my CMs came to life with a power amp. Good became excellent.

the only paradigms I've ever owned were a pair of dipole surround speakers from nearly 20 yrs ago. can't tell you how they sound like. They aren't that common in UK, but are proliferating through the Anthem dealers now.

In N America, they seem to held in the same regard as B&W and are often the ones compared against each other. The chatter there seem to suggest Paradigms have an emphasis towards the midrange and lower trebles, whereas B&Ws are more neutral.

Going to Bristol tomorrow and will hopefully will get to hear the range.

9. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone said the Yamaha CX-A5000 processor and MX-A5000 power amp would be the best solution???

10. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    To what though? Answers depends on questions.

the Yam combo is extremely capable. It is also 11.2. In terms of feature set, its similar to the Marantz combo. Not heard either myself, but from the forums, looks like there is little to choose between them.

They also cost 5k.

Dunno where you are based, but I know Frank Harvey at Coventry were quite taken by the Yam combo. But then again, that was before they got the Anthem. You could check them both out.

But you have to compare like with like. A power amp will always enhance a system. So
    demo the Anthem with a power amp. As I said, even if you use the Anthem's MCA50 (which is a better power amp btw), you'll still have change from 5k.

11. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok... ive decided. anthem 710 or 510 + power amp. Is there any difference between the 710 and 510 apart from power? What would be the best power amp possible to match the 710/510 anthem?

12. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    the pre/pro stage of the MRX range is exactly the same. the only difference in the 310 is that it only does 5.1, and that includes the preouts. For this reason, they cannot display DTS HDMA as DTS says can only apply to processors with 7.1 outputs. Nevertheless, the 310 still downmixes HDMA content into the 2 surround channel as the 710 and 510 would if they were connected to a 5.1 system.

So if you're just using a 5.1 speaker setup and never intend to go 7.1, and using it only as a pre/pro, a 310 will suffice (minor point, but the 310 also does not have a front HDMI input).

for 7.1, 510 for pre/pro for sure since the 710 only differs by having more juice.

As for power amp, its more to do with speakers you're driving. When it comes to power, the more the merrier. Its your speakers that control how much power to draw, they are not force fed by the amp!

Having been looking into it recently, my personal recommendation would be the ATI 180x series from Lsound. They offer good value for money. Stephenbarnes just ordered one. you can watch out for his posts on how he gets on with it. There's another chap who has it but hasn't really mentioned much.

Anthem's MCA50 or the pricier Statement A5 are also good options. Although I think the ATI will beat them, certainly the MCA50, and cheaper too.

If you want to chance it, there's an Emotiva XPR-5 going on ebay later tonight. 5 channels, 400watts each. That's what I'm using now.

Its a bit of a punt as they are ordered direct from USA, so not much in terms of after sales support. They no longer ship the XPR series overseas. And this unit is a repaired one fro on of the early adopters.

Its a good amp though and really good value for money. I didn't really want to spend money on a PA yet, but a unit came up on the classified for 1k. was a no brainer.

13. avf20145

avf20145
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what about perfect speaker match? Would you go for the Anthem Paradigms?

14. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    the MRX and power amps are all neutral. Some call it warm. I call it neutral. I'm a B&W fanboy, so follow John Bowers philosophy...

Speaker choice will be down to preference. What sound you get on with and enjoy more.

B&Ws are crowd pleasers. Because they are neutral, an colourations from the amp will not be excessive. They just need juice.

I first decided I want hifi speakers to drive HT when I heard an AVR driving B&Ws 10 years ago. In those days, there were dedicated HT speakers because of magnetic shielding and they tend to be rubbish. I already had a 602 S3 for stereo use, but to hear the sweetness of the movie soundtrack, I never forgot that moment. Don't even recall what movie that was <LOL>

When I finally ended my self-imposed exile to change my system, I went through the usual, whatifi reviews etc, and thought I could save a it by going for MAs or Dalis. Went to listen to it, avoided B&Ws initially cos they were a bit more expensive. Like the other brands, but undecided. Finally thought I would ask for the B&W. The dealer had a look of resignation on his face. The choice then on was easy. By his own admission, B&Ws sell themselves.

But at the "serious hifi" bracket, you are spoilt for choice. Besides the Kef Rs, there are also Focal Arias and Sonos Fabers which have recently come into the market. And of course, the Paradigms.

Gonna hear the S6 in Bristol later. The Signature series is priced along the Kef Reference range. The Monitor series seems to be what we should be looking at.

Will let you know my impressions of Paradigms.

15. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I would be recommending the 510 with something like the mca30 or mca50 with the Kef R series and a paradigm sub. Unless you are going over 7.1 then you don't need the Yamaha 3030 or processor set-up. The Arcam got 4 stars in what hifi which doesn't make it a bad choice but does give an indication that more was expected for the price

16. Heisenbear

Heisenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I found a SR7005 on the classifieds section but can´t make an offer because of being a new member. So hard to find a second hand one these days :(

17. whattheflac

whattheflac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Went to Bristol today, finally ordered my MRX-510 & Statement A5, oh happy days! Can't wait to have it at home, been a couple of years of saving.

18. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    ok, just came back from Bristol.

Anthem misjudged the size of their demo room, so decided to use a 710 to drive a set of S6 based Paradigm Signatures, instead of an S6 stereo setup and a 310/Cinema 100 multichannel combo.

the S6s btw are about 5k a pair.

How do they sound? Loud. They have a ribbed driver surround design which allows for high excursions. So they can really give it, without losing detail. They sound good, I mean they are 5k speakers.

Would I get them for myself? I'm unsure. They don't really do it for me for music. But that could be because they really need to be driven by a power amp. The 710 made them wow the crowd, which is a testament to how good the 710 is; for an AVR. But I expected more finesse for speakers at this price range.

You could contact Anthem AVS UK for a demo of their speakers. I don't think there are that many dealers around.

I personally still prefer my B&Ws.

The MA Silvers are very precise. But cold and clinical. Like a mannequin. Picture perfect, but lifeless. I don't enjoy them.

Kefs were only demoing their marquee Blades, queue was ridiculous and I didn't have enough time.

But yea, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but the Anthem MRX + power amp combo is the one to go if you have a 5k budget.

19. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    If they have that setup, they would really have slaughtered another make starting with "A"...

20. themovierooms

themovierooms
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I think there has been plenty written on the Anthem, the Yamaha in my mind is a very underrated product and to me the closest performer to the Anthem at around the £2k level. The key if you are going to demo these is to get them set up correctly so it is a fair demonstration of the amplifiers capabilities. This includes the Yamaha, which I think needs a few tweaks to getting it sounding it's best. As Lokyc said, the Arcam is a lot more money and not really in the same ballpark as the other two. If you have a budget of £4k, that opens up a world of possibilities with power amplifiers some which have been touched on above.

21. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I currently have a Yamaha 3030 and an Anthem 710. Both a very good amps, the Yamaha has the edge on features such as built in Airplay but for my setup the Anthem edges it in terms of performance. ARC2 seems to work much better in my room and speakers compared to the Yamaha.

Although to me the Anthem was easier to setup having been playing at this for 15 odd years, I can understand why it would be a little daunting compared to the Yamaha. This is mainly down to ARC running on a laptop as oppose to a built in process.

22. Timothy Basheer

Timothy Basheer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Arcam AVR750 and I can honestly say that I love it, one of my favourite purchases ever

23. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    And thats what I'm running, without the MCA, which is on my to-add list - very happy with the system overall.

24. Spin2222

Spin2222
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Do you think Arcam 750 is right for b&w cm9 ?

25. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I auditioned the Anthem 710 and while I liked the sound, I didn't like the bugs and ocassional distortions. In terms of features and overall prodct quality quality I think that the Yamaha will be superior, and I'd also look at a Pioneer LX, particularly for a dedicated HT setup.