Arcam avr550 Dolby surround issue

dvp

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I’ve been using an Arcam avr550 with an LG C1 4K tv, BW stereo speakers and Apple TV, which has been fantastic. Recently there’s a strange problem where the amp has stopped showing Dolby stereo and has reverted to Dolby surround, but my setup is stereo not surround so the sound is all wrong. I’ve checked the settings to the speakers and all is as it should be, so I’ve reset the amp Menu 5 seconds/ok/direct and at any moment it’ll change from stereo to surround. Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode. You've simply invoked that mode. The mode would be applicable regardless of your setup's configuration.

Also note that there's no such format as Dolby Stereo and I can only assume that that was also a mode as opposed to what you were receibing. Dolby Digital can be stereo in nature, but it is the same format as that used to give you multichannel surround with fewer channels present in the audio package. There's just be 2.0 as opposed to 5.1.

Dolby Surround is a mode included on AV receivers that are Atmos enabled. It can potentially create pseudo Atmos effects if you've the associated speakers present. Even if you've not the Atmos speakers, it can still be applied to audioand will modify how it is being portrayed via the speakers that are present.

If not wanting additional upmixing then engage a STEREO mode on your AVR. You have to set the modes being applied and Dolby Surround isn't aurtomatically selected.

From your receiver's manual:

Mode
Lists the decode and downmix options you wish to include when cycling through the options on the MODE button. Settings are Yes or No. The list is divided into two sections depending on the source audio type.
See section “decoding modes” on page E-32 for more information on each processing and decoding mode.
These settings are applied to all audio inputs and are stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up.
For Stereo sources:
Dolby Surround –
DTS Neural:X -
DTS Virtual:X -
5/7 Ch Stereo -
The first section, ‘Stereo sources’ is the list of processing modes you wish to make available for stereo signals (analogue stereo, digital PCM stereo, Dolby 2.0, DTS 2.0, etc). When a stereo signal is applied, each press of the MODE button cycles through the processing modes you have enabled in the ‘Stereo sources’ section. The unprocessed Stereo option is always available for stereo signals therefore it is not shown in the list.
For Multi-channel sources:
Stereo Downmix –
Dolby Surround –
DTS Neural:X -
DTS Virtual:X -
The second section, ‘Multi-channel sources’ is the list of processing modes you wish to make available for multi-channel digital signals (any Dolby or DTS digital stream that has more channels than stereo 2.0). When a multi-channel digital signal is applied, each press of the MODE button cycles through the processing modes you have enabled in the ‘Multi-channel sources’ section.

by default 2022-06-06 at 11.01.34.png

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom