Arcam AVR550 as processor vs Marantz AV8802A

Sab

I am currentlly running the Arcam AVR550 as a processor using it with the Arcam P7 power amp. I am thinking of changing the 550 for a second hand Marantz AV8802A processor. The Marantz has a lot more features than the Arcam, My problem is I have never heard the Marantz but I know it has got amazing reviews.

Has anyone compared both? Should I go for the Marantz AV8802A?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I haven’t tried the 8802 but do now have the 8805 after having an Arcam 550 and an 860.

In my room, I much prefer the marantz. Sound is far more dynamic, although I do only watch movies.

In saying that, the live aid scene in bohemian rhapsody is now my go to demo scene. My system sounds absolutely amazing with this.

indus

Distinguished Member
I am currentlly running the Arcam AVR550 as a processor using it with the Arcam P7 power amp. I am thinking of changing the 550 for a second hand Marantz AV8802A processor. The Marantz has a lot more features than the Arcam, My problem is I have never heard the Marantz but I know it has got amazing reviews.

Has anyone compared both? Should I go for the Marantz AV8802A?

Your biggest issue is Dirac vs Audyssey. Do you have a preference?

Sab

I like the sound with Dirac but the Marantz processors seem to have a lot more features. Even the on screen display is better and the setup menu as well. However, I have not heard the Audyseey yet.

How are the Marantz processors for stereo music ie. Cds?

t bone

What are the features on the Marantz that you like so much? a part from the set up menu osd.

Sab

I like the Wi Fi and a more detailed display on the front of tyour unit. But I do not know how much better the 8802a sounds compared to my Arcam 550.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Better is always subjective.

If there was one processor that sounded better and had all the bells and whistles, everyone would own one.

Each processors performance is hugely influenced by other factors such as equipment, but most importantly, from the room itself.

I know people that think the Arcam is the best sounding receiver/processor within the relevant price band, others prefer anthem, I personally prefer the marantz. But again, this is in my room, listening to movies only.

They are all very good in their own right.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I wouldn’t do it without trying it in your own room first. They are undoubtedly both very capable processors, but in my experience Dirac is an order of magnitude better than Audyssey.

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
I moved from a Marataz with Audyssey to an Arcam with Diarc, wouldn't go back Audyssey is poor compared to Diarc imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom