Question Arcam AVR550 as a processor/pre

kevshed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks , my av9 died and I'm now ready to upgrade. I was going to go for a used AV888, but looking at prices there are some good deals on the AVR550 around .... I'll be using my P7 as amplification, so am curious what folks think about using the 550 just a pre ?

It seems a lot more up to date than the 888, just wonder if the quality of the processing stages cuts it ...

Thoughts ?

Thx

The 390/550/850 all have the same pre-stage. It makes a lot of sense as it's vastly more up to date than the 888. If I were you, I'd look for a 390.

The 390/550/850 all have the same pre-stage. It makes a lot of sense as it's vastly more up to date than the 888. If I were you, I'd look for a 390.

Hmm had not considered the 390, thx will take a look

interesting - i didn't realise that these were only variants at the amplification stage. Given Dirac i think will help me immensly, i think this is the way to go. thanks !

Any thoughts on the power supply being different between the 390 and 550? I suspect this would effect the amp stage more than the processing right ?

I don't know - a question for Arcam perhaps.

Do they still watch the forum ? If so, what say ye :)

You would be better off giving them a call or sending an email - the contact details are on the Arcam website.

You would be better off giving them a call or sending an email - the contact details are on the Arcam website.

Clearly:) - did some reading looks like the power supply is really related to the class G output, so prob not bearing ... got my hunt on :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom