Arcam AVR390 with Arcam P7

pingle22

Standard Member
Hi, I just purchased an Arcam AVR390 from Peter Tyson and I'm using an Arcam P7 7 channel amp to drive the height speakers in a 5.1.4 setup. Would it be a good idea to also drive the front and centre speakers with the P7? Would this theoretically improve the sound? Balance of 60% music, 40% movies/Netflix. Any answers kindly appreciated :)

Ultra2man

Hi, I just purchased an Arcam AVR390 from Peter Tyson and I'm using an Arcam P7 7 channel amp to drive the height speakers in a 5.1.4 setup. Would it be a good idea to also drive the front and centre speakers with the P7? Would this theoretically improve the sound? Balance of 60% music, 40% movies/Netflix. Any answers kindly appreciated :)
Yes you can use it to drive the LCR channels. Should give you more power than the internal amps on the 390 and in theory sound better too.

pingle22

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply:)
I set the up the receiver with the supplied microphone. I'm aware it's not the best so I'll look at getting a better calibrated one and run Dirac again to see if it improves things even more. All exciting stuff!:clap:

ThePercussionist

Novice Member
Hi, I just purchased an Arcam AVR390 from Peter Tyson and I'm using an Arcam P7 7 channel amp to drive the height speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.
@pingle22 how did it work out? What pre-amp did you use prior to the AVR390? I’m replacing my now faulty A32 7.1 and I also have the excellent P7. I’d say music is 80 % in my case 😁 I’ve been extremely satisfied with my old setup sonically 👌How is your new rig ?

pingle22

Standard Member
Really pleased with the sound and yes I suppose music is the main thing for me especially 5.1/Atmos. It's the best system I've ever had ..... so far. Only thing is my height speakers are upfiring and I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Atmos effect. Perhaps one day I'll bite the bullet and get someone in to fit some decent overhead speakers. I never had a pre-amp before but I've always stuck with Arcam because I've always loved the sound. Before this I had an Arcam AVR360 but after running Dirac on my new machine there has been a noticeable improvement.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom