Arcam AVR390 question

najah

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about to buy one of these for a 5.1.4 setup.

I intend to use it with a power amp running the front left and right and another for my center using the pre outs. This bit is clear to me.

I' was intending to run 2 rear and 4 ceiling atmos speakers via the Arcam, but looking at the rear panel has confused me a little. There are only 2 speaker connections for height, so does that mean I need to add another 2 ch amp (or look to a different 9.1 ch amp) if I want 4 ceiling speakers? I think I read somewhere that the Arcam speaker connections are not user assignable, so it can't use the FR/FL reassigned to ceiling atmos?

I will download the manual and have a read, but any input appreciated.

You will need external amplification for 2 of the height speakers. If you want to power the front three speakers externally, that means a 5 channel power amp.

Might be more cost effective to get an Arcam AVR550 plus a 2 channel amp? That is what I use.

Just about to buy one of these for a 5.1.4 setup.

I intend to use it with a power amp running the front left and right and another for my center using the pre outs. This bit is clear to me.

I' was intending to run 2 rear and 4 ceiling atmos speakers via the Arcam, but looking at the rear panel has confused me a little. There are only 2 speaker connections for height, so does that mean I need to add another 2 ch amp (or look to a different 9.1 ch amp) if I want 4 ceiling speakers? I think I read somewhere that the Arcam speaker connections are not user assignable, so it can't use the FR/FL reassigned to ceiling atmos?

I will download the manual and have a read, but any input appreciated.

anyparticular reason why you want to use an external amp for the frontchnnels?
The G class amps in the 850 are very good so if you haven't tested yet you may fing that the internal amp is all you need for the front channels.

In that case all you would then need is a 2 channel power amp for one of your sets of cieling speakers, the other set can be powered from the spare surroung back internal channel which can be re-assigned for Atmos channels. These are the only internal amps that cen be re-assigned.

If you still wnat to use external amps for the front channels then do as Ranbles said.

Last edited:
anyparticular reason why you want to use an external amp for the frontchnnels?
Yhe G class amps in the 850 are very good so if you haven't tested yet you may fing that the internal amp is all you need for the front channels.

In that case all you would then need is a 2 channel power amp for one of your sets of cieling speakers, the other set can be powered from the spare surroung back internal channel which can be re-assigned for Atmos channels. These are the only internal amps that cen be re-assigned.

If you still wnat to use external amps for the front channels then do as Ranbles said.
Sorry ignore my mention of tthe 850 , don't know why I read that as your product.

So to to re-confirm, only 2 channels are re-assignable so it's as Rambles suggested.

Damn. That scupers my plans a bit.

I wanted something better for 2ch stereo and had decided on a Naim 300DR, with something a 200DR or 250DR for the centre. Classe future is a bit too uncertain for me to throw money at their amps.

Rears/ceiling are less important to me, so I was planning to use the Arcam for these. An AVR850 cuts into my Naim budget and as the processing/dirac is identical I thought the AVR390 would be fine.

If the surround back can be reassigned to ceiling, would this work:

1. FL/FR: external 2ch power amp
2. Centre: external power amp
3. RL/RR: Arcam
4. Ceiling x2: Arcam
5. Celing x2 external 2ch amp

The additional power amp for the 2 ceiling speakers gives me placement issues, as it means I would need a taller rack the height of which will probably foul my projector screen.

If I'm going to get another box, it may as well be 6 ch's to run the RL/RR and 4x ceiling running the 390 as a processor only, in which case I might be better off with a dedicated processor. I don't want to spend Arcam 860 money and not sure what else does dirac and 4 ceiling channels?

If I am understanding it correctly, the other compromise might be to just run 2 ceiling speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom