Arcam AVR390 7-Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

Personally, I've never found the need for more than 1 slot. Also, I always live with any changes I make with Dirac for a few days before deciding if it's a calibration or curve design that I like. I found quick A/Bing to be ineffective in my room.

I would guess that Arcam as an early adopter of Dirac probably didn't think people would need more than 1 slot when they designed the current range. I would expect they will include more slots in future designs just to be competitive.

In my application I have a small room and an extreme recliner sofa which can move the listener quite a bit further away from the speakers / towards the back room, hence why I'd like an extra slot - "Sit up and beg" vs "loungin'" :). At the moment I tend to DIRAC somewhere between the two.

I believe the Mini DSP in my office stereo system can store four Dirac settings, and it pre-dates my 'one-slot' a/v processor.

Like the above poster, I find it frustrating in that I like to watch movies and surround sound in extreme recliner mode, and stereo music sitting up 'properly' (as my mom would say). It's not practical to change the programme each time, and a mild pain even to turn it off.

I'm even less tolerant of this as I feel I paid top dollar for a pure processor which, moreover, doesn't even accept balanced inputs.

I'm sure that in the future multiple Dirac options will become the norm.

Like the above poster, I find it frustrating in that I like to watch movies and surround sound in extreme recliner mode, and stereo music sitting up 'properly' (as my mom would say). It's not practical to change the programme each time, and a mild pain even to turn it off.
Indeed; at the very least some discrete IR codes would be great for DIRAC Off and On. There's just the "Audio" toggle function for them at the moment, which means I need to look at the screen. Though I see there are discrete RS232 on / off commands, so I might have to press into service the old trusty serial port...

I wonder if we are going to see new equipment from Arcam at CES in early 2019 or if their current configuration is upgradeable to stuff such as Variable Refresh Rate and eARC. Don't care too much for 8K and extra bandwidth stuff. But those two are something I need to plan for when I upgrade from my current Yamaha RX-A3010.

Surprised your new setup doesn't use that already?
I'm pretty much only driving the volume control and mute on the Arcam via the Harmony - everything else is done in the Lumagen processor. I'm doing a load of serial mongery elsewhere to get the auto aspect analysis of the Lumagen to drive the screen masks, which is very cool.

Yes they can, I'm using my AVR850 to drive 4 Ohm MK S150s.

Will the 390 be happy with similar? I’d be looking to run a 5.1.2 system with all M&K speakers (which I believe are all 4 ohms?)

Will the 390 be happy with similar? I’d be looking to run a 5.1.2 system with all M&K speakers (which I believe are all 4 ohms?)
No, unless you intend to listen at very low levels I'd suggest not: I had my 390 shut down when I was only using it to power the side surrounds and one pair of heights (both MK 150 series speakers, which are 4ohms). I pnly had 5 channels working on my power amp at the time, so needed to use the 390's internal ones for those two pairs.

Now I have the full 7 channels working on my power amp I'm only using the 390 for one pair of (MP150) heights and haven't had issues with shut downs. I don't even listen at reference level, more like 8-10db below, though my room is a reasonable size (6.5m x 4m).

Last edited:
What does Arcam say, recommend, publish?

There's a Polish review of the 550 that goes into some technical detail, unlike other reviews around here, including bench tests. The 550 shut down fairly quickly under 4ohm so the 390 is definitely a no-go: ARCAM AVR550 chrome will translate, scroll to the bottom.

What does Arcam say, recommend, publish?

The reason I asked was that they don’t recommend 4ohm speakers at all, yet in the review Steve mentions running his 7 channel M&K 150 setup without issue...admittedly not on the 390.

Cheers for the feedback all.

The reason I asked was that they don’t recommend 4ohm speakers at all, yet in the review Steve mentions running his 7 channel M&K 150 setup without issue...admittedly not on the 390.

Cheers for the feedback all.
Point taken, but you don’t want to do is take that advice and the unit fails, they’ll be no come back for that.
What of a power amp to go with the 390, would have thought that would be a great combo?

What of a power amp to go with the 390, would have thought that would be a great combo?

Just be aware that the pre-outs of the Arcam receivers are not that powerful so make sure that the power amp is a fairly sensitive one. I found with an Emotiva, that I had to use a fair bit of volume gain compared to a Marantz.

I ran the Arcam 550 with MK MP150s which are 4ohm and never had a shut down or any problems.

I ran the Arcam 550 with MK MP150s which are 4ohm and never had a shut down or any problems.
As I said..........what is good for one user isn’t a claim for success or against Arcam!!!

Point taken, but you don’t want to do is take that advice and the unit fails, they’ll be no come back for that.

Sadly a power amp isn't an option... no space.

To be honest, I could just as easily purchase the latest Marantz SR7013 and get everything I need (I know it can run the speakers) but I'm looking at my options. I have messaged Arcam to ask the question, you're quite correct, straight from the horses mouth is a good plan!

I forgot to ask them if they're planning implementing eARC though... :rolleyes:

Sadly a power amp isn't an option... no space.

To be honest, I could just as easily purchase the latest Marantz SR7013 and get everything I need (I know it can run the speakers) but I'm looking at my options. I have messaged Arcam to ask the question, you're quite correct, straight from the horses mouth is a good plan!

I forgot to ask them if they're planning implementing eARC though... :rolleyes:

I asked about eARC a while back and the answer was no.

As suggested I've asked Arcam and they've come back with a response...

"Hi Scott,

Yes but with the caveat that things like the enthusiasm with which you adjust the volume dial will also have an effect on whether the amp is comfortable. The AVR850 has the most to deliver both in terms of grunt and quality.

Many dealers are up for loaning units to potential purchasers so I would suggest asking your dealer if they are up for that. You can then hear the unit with your own speakers, in your own room and get a real idea of whether it will be comfortable with the usage you are likely to level at it.

Kind Regards,
"

Out of interest how many MP150's were you running... and are you a reference level kind of guy, or more neighbourly levels? This is in a lounge not a dedicated room.

I think that cases where 390/550 shuts down with 4 ohm loads, are related to massive Dirac adjustments of dips in the lower frequencies. These require serious power reserves.
Normally subwoofers will handle these.. and should not tax the AVR.
If you can measure with REW before you buy, you will see where the dips are.
You can always go for a 390 and a seven channel external amp for L C R and Atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom