• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam AVR390/550/850/AV860 Reliability Poll

Have you had Hardware Issues with your Arcam AVR390/550/850 or AV860?

• No

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Yes - Satisfactorily Resolved

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Yes - Not Satisfactorily Resolved

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Just to gain some meaningful info and stats, trying to gather how many people have had hardware reliability issues with their AVR/AV kit?
This is NOT to capture if you've had software or compatibility faults, this is to capture if you've had actual hardware failures or issues that have needed to be fixed by Arcam.
This is also NOT for previous generation before Arcam FMJ 390/550/850/860 (Or Lexicon or other equivalents) and not for earlier generations or the newer HDA range.
If had issues, if you could comment below that would help, i.e. fixed ok etc..

Last edited:

crypticc

When I first got mine I thought I had a buzz. Turned out to be a suppressor in voltage/noise cleaner in the *5 extension cable and the sound wasn't even coming from the app. Bought a new one and all was well.

Sometimes I got white noise / HDMI handshake issues when switching inputs. It seems to be more likely to impact switching resolutions/refresh rates on the Shield, than say when my Oppo switches to/from SDR 4k, HDR or DV. Switching inputs and back again always fixes.
As this happened right from the beginning when I bought the amp when first released and it hasn't gotten worse or more frequent since, I believe this issue is with software or HDMI handshake somewhere along the way.

So yes, I believe I've had no HW issues.

Chris

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
When I first got mine I thought I had a buzz. Turned out to be a suppressor in voltage/noise cleaner in the *5 extension cable and the sound wasn't even coming from the app. Bought a new one and all was well.

Sometimes I got white noise / HDMI handshake issues when switching inputs. It seems to be more likely to impact switching resolutions/refresh rates on the Shield, than say when my Oppo switches to/from SDR 4k, HDR or DV. Switching inputs and back again always fixes.
As this happened right from the beginning when I bought the amp when first released and it hasn't gotten worse or more frequent since, I believe this issue is with software or HDMI handshake somewhere along the way.

So yes, I believe I've had no HW issues.

Chris
Same with my shield and 550

RobWoolsey

Novice Member
Had my 550 for about 12 months now. No hardware issues but occasionally get the ‘handshake‘ issue mentioned above. Gets used regularly (pretty much a few hours daily) but doesn’t get worked hard as have monoblocks driving the fronts (via a AV input through a pre-amp used to split system for stereo listening) and a P429 for the 4 heights/atmos channels.

Interesting to read the new AV HDA series have 6 channel decoding for height (which would appear to be software driven / ability to route the signal via pre outs which are the same In number between the FMJ and HDA).

Would be really interested if Arcam could add decoding / routing for the FMJ series via a firmware update as would love to move to 6 heights by adding a ‘middle’ pair.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom