Arcam AVR350 versus Marantz S8001

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by reaper12, Jan 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Just a few questions to all you Arcam owners :)

I have a Marantz SR8001 and have been thinking of changing, and then, changing my mind again and deciding to keep it lol.

I have read a few threads here and in the other forum in America. A good few people rate the Arcam 350 way ahead of the Marantz, just wonder would you people see it that way?

The Arcam's are at a real good price right now, this is what started me thinking of switching again. Also I recently bought Asus's latest sound card and can output over HDMI or analog for Hd audio. My question about this, is if I do use the anlog inputs on the Arcam, will the sound quality be dependent on my sound card and not the amp at all?

All I am interested in is improving the sound quality I have. :thumbsup:

Cheers for any help!

2. McFaber

McFaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Don't know much about sound cards, so I'll stay out of that one.

Marantz SR8001 or Arcam AVR350?
    I rate the Marantz highly, I own a SR8002 atm.
    I've owned the Arcam AVR350 also and IMHO it's definitely up another level in the SQ department.

3. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks Manxstar,

What I mean is that if I use any sort of bluray player with analog outs, will the sound quality depend on the bluray player? Or does the Arcam influence the sound quality?

I just think with the Arcam at such good prices second hand now that It would be a fairly cheap way of improving my sound. I would lose a few features, but, would hope that the sound qualiy would make up for that.

The more reviews and user opinons I read I think I might get one :) It will be along time before I can afford separates or the AVR600. The Arcam might be the nearest I get to the separates audio quality.

4. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    The simple answer is yes.

While the GIGO rule still applies, decent sound cards output very high quality sound IMHO. Something the Arcam can take use to produce high quality and powerfull amplification.

5. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks Deadeye,

I don't need the receiver to do any video duties at all. I will have to connect my PS3 and xbox360 using optical. Then connect my pc using coaxial for DVD's, music and games, and connect using the 5.1 analog outs to the analog inputs on the arcam for bluray and HD movies. Does this all look good to people? If I can do this I won't be losing anything really by switching :)

I have 7.1 analog inputs on the Marantz, can I connect the analog outs on the Arcam 350 to the inputs on the Marantz and use it as a power amp? Just curious, will probably sell it if I change.

6. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I don't use anything but the analogue mch from my D2X into my 280 for HD films, streamed music and games. Sounds lovely. SO much so that I'm not bothering to buy a seperate HD player. I'd still consider buying the HDAV deluxe though to get the seperate daughter board that carries the phono outputs. The Auzentech solution uses a crappy dongle which is frankly pants. The D2X requires you to use a splitter from each channel from 3.5mm to phono which is ok but its a struggle to get decent quality cable with thick connectors to play ball and all go into the back of sound card.

7. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I suppose you could but I'm not sure if its worth it. If you going to do that you may as well buy a processor instead and then eventually replace the Marantz with a power amp. Theres a chap thats done exactly that with an Arcam 350 and Audiolab 8000AP.

8. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Eagle, I have Asus Hdav deluxe :thumbsup: It's a great card, much better than the creative X-fi titanium that I had before. It has it's problems, but, I am happy with mine, sound quality is really good. The hdav card is the reason why I am even thinking about getting the Arcam 350, as I can use the analog outs on the daughter card. I can recommend it :)

You are right, It probably won't be worth my while using the Marantz like that, just sell it I suppose.

lol the nearer I come to actually make the choice and buying the Arcam the nicer my marantz is sounding :rotfl:

I just hope that the audio quality is that much better :)

9. o0paradigm0o

o0paradigm0o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Couple quick points:
    - The SQ is all about personal preference between the Arcam AVR 280/350 and the equivalent in Marantz. I personally liked the more accurate definition I got out of the Arcam paired with my paradigm 11's than the mellow Marantz. If I listened to a ton of smooth jazz, soft rock that sort of thing I would have taken the Marantz.

As another note, I just traded in my AVR280 for an AVR350... need more sound per channel and worried about going two zones with larger speakers being too much for the 280. I found the end of the amp, which is never a good thing.

10. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I used to have the Arcam AVR300 (more or less AVR350 minus hdmi) and now use the Marantz 8002 (more or less 8001 plus HDMI 1.3).

The Arcam sounds *SIGNIFICANTLY* cleaner and more natural than the marantz. I only went with the marantz as a temp solution because my Arcam digital inputs died over a year ago, and I didn't want to spend on lot on a new receiver when all the hdmi stuff was up in the air and Arcam AVR600 was not in sight.

I will probably switch to avr600 or equavalent when finances allow it.

11. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for the info. I have been reading more about the 350 since last week. A couple of people on other forums have compared it to a SR7001 and have said that the ordinary sound tracks on movies sound better on the Arcam than HD audio tracks been played on the Marantz.

Or maybe use the Marantz for movies and the Arcam for music!! Lots of options. Or maybe save up lots of money and buy the AVR600. :D