Arcam AVR350 to DV137 sound query

leeed342

Hi people. Just curious, what connection option is generally accepted as best for sound quality, when I just want to listen to straight 2 channel audio on my AVR350, fed from my DV137. I have a QED co-ax digital connection, or the option of a Chord 'Cobra' for normal analogue 2 channel connection.

Cheers :hiya:

Lee

akroblade954

Standard Member
I have a similar set up and use the digital co-ax connection for movies only and an analogue pair from the DVD player connected to the Multi-channel input (FL & FR) for playing CD's (of course, if you play DVD Audio etc, you can connect 5 analogue leads to the multi-channel inputs). Remote button is reassigned so that choosing 'CD' on the remote takes input from Multi-channel, not CD. The Multichannel input will only output in 'Stereo Direct' and therefore you will always get the purest of sound for music audio. However, depending on your mood, playing the music through the digital co-ax and choosing the Dolby PL II Music I think generally adds some excitment to the music, if at the loss of some pure quality!!

Last edited:

Theo Maxtible

Hi people. Just curious, what connection option is generally accepted as best for sound quality, when I just want to listen to straight 2 channel audio on my AVR350, fed from my DV137. I have a QED co-ax digital connection, or the option of a Chord 'Cobra' for normal analogue 2 channel connection.

Cheers :hiya:

Lee

Arcam recommend that the analogue connections between the DV137 and AVR350 are used for music. Here is a link to their DV137 FAQ page:-

http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/support faq matrix/faq/DVDFAQCUST.pdf

I have exactly these two pieces of equipment, and that's also what I would recommend. For all mono or stereo music sources, I use the CD analogue inputs on my AVR350 - absolute bottom left inputs as you look at your machine from the back. The advantage of using these inputs over selecting the FR and FL of the MCH inputs (as mentioned by akroblade954), is that you will have a choice of "stereo direct" or one the the various FX. Using the MCH inputs "forces" you into "direct" mode. Obviously, this is a matter of personal choice, but thought it worth mentioning. On another note, I use all analogue connections for music playback, which means 3 pairs for the MCH inputs. All mono or stereo sources are played using the CD input (regardless of whether that be CD, SACD or DVD-A - or derivatives thereof). All MCH music sources are played using the MCH input - also regardless of format. I have an extremely ordinary set of speakers, but was still able to hear a difference comparing digi-coax to analogue. Of course, we might not all hear the same - or expect the same.

leeed342

Cheers for that. I must admit, I thought the standard analogue connection sounded better for normal 2 channel audio, but thought this was maybe due to better interconnects. I guess Il just leave all options connected so as I can flick between them as the mood takes me :thumbsup:

Regards

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom