Arcam AVR350 + PS3 + 2.0 speaker - how to connect/setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by madeinstein, Jun 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. madeinstein

madeinstein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got Pioneer 508XD and PS3 at the moment and I'm planning to buy AVReceiver + 2 Floorstanders (Arcam AVR350 and PMC GB1i most likely) and later DVD(maybe blueray) player for music/movies.

As Arcam doesn't support HDMI 1.3 what is the best way to connect all this together and for music what should be the setup on PS3?

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    PS3 to 508XD @ 1080i (or 1080p if you meant LX508D). 1080p24 mode for Blu-Ray. Dunno if with some games 720p might be more suitable, being the snobs we are we've only used the 1080p panels in the last year or so :D

For the audio best bet is optical digital audio direct from the PS3 to the AVR350. You will get 1.5mbps DTS from Blu-Ray movies which still sounds pretty amazing compared to "regular" DTS you get with SD DVDs which is half the bit-rate.

The PMCs and AVR350 is a VERY good match (we have that in our demo room currently) and you will not be dissapointed. Enjoy!

3. madeinstein

madeinstein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply..

As I'm talking to the pro if you don't mind I'll ask you another question.

I was listening to these setups (Arcam350/Onkyo875 + PMC GB1/B&W CM7). Unfortunatelly I didn't have a chance to try BlueRay so it was only DVD/CD.

In my opinion PMC with both amps lacked base in comparision to B&W (I was listening to rodrigo y gabriela tamacun and Diablo Rojo) not sure if it was just setup or in general that's the case. I didn't get a chance to listen to PMC i series but I've heard that it's better than the old model, not sure if base was improved.

And on the amp side Arcam musically was much better, but what about BlueRay, would HD sound be much better on Onkyo than Arcam?

And yes I've got the HD Ready model of pioneer.. and now the 9 series is due to be released for the similiar price so it's a shame I didn't wait a bit longer :(

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'm quite surprised about the bass comments. They are two different speakers though, the BW is rear ported so in a corner of a room the speaker is going to load from the walls and really boom (IMO this is to be AVOIDED not encouraged). The PMC is transmission line to a front port so wouldn't corner load the same. So perhaps setup/positioning has done it. With speakers in my demo room I would tend to mark the floor with where each sounds best and then position accordingly for each demo. Otherwise I guess I can't explain it, I really would put the PMC as the bassier performer.

Regards movies and music. Sound is always the same thing whether it came from a DVD or Blu-Ray or from a CD. The material is often different but the same princibles of timing, accuracy, depth etc all still apply. You tend to forget how much of the movie is musical score, and then dialogue/speech, which are stronger points for the Arcam over the Onkyo IMO.

5. madeinstein

madeinstein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I need to book another demo in my local shop because last time the guys in the shop said exactly the same thing that Arcam+PMC is their favorite choice but I was a bit disappointed with PMCs.

My system is going to be in the reception so Arcam+PMC GB1i fit much better than ugly Onkyo and much bigger B&W. It's a bit pricier.. but for music much better.

At the moment I'm using PS3 as a player, but there is a plan to get a proper BlueRay/DVD/CD player so I think I need to look at the analogue outputs.

From what I've read in this topic http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689072 looks like if BlueRay player has analogue outputs for each channel I will be able to send sound if full lossless format (correct me if I'm wrong).

6. madeinstein

madeinstein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. madeinstein

madeinstein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Koops

Koops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, this is my first post so go easy!

I have a similar question about the Arcam avr280 settings. I only have a 2 channel setup until I can afford the surround speakers and my room is relatively small at 12' x 18' wide.

I have set the front two speakers to Large and the others to none i the Arcam settings menu.

When watching dts dvd, (ps3 set to output bitstream over optical) the mode is 5.1 dts, this sounds better than stereo downmix, is the arcam effectively downmixing the 5.1 dts to the 2 channels? how are these different?

When the source is 2 channel DD from the PS3, mode neo 6 appears to be best? (more bass) for movies, even though this is a surround mode and i only have 2 speakers?

Are there any other things i should change, even though i have no sub should the crossover for bass remain at 80htz?

If anyone can point out anything i have missed in terms of setting that would be great, so far very happy with the Arcam, music with direct mode sounds great. This is my first setup so nothing to compare to, but I'm very happy with the bang for buck so far!!:thumbsup:

9. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got Gb1i's at the front, and Wafer 1's for centre and rears and from the the PS3 the sound is good, bass is excellent ( I have even run the wafers as fronts for a months waiting for my Gb1i's) so it may be positioning. My Gb1's are 4 inches from wall, 9 ft apart, slight toe-in, 2 ft from corner with a listening position at 10ft.

The amp though.....................Movie Solo 5.1:clap:

Not sure how a 350 compares to my solo but hope that helps.