Arcam AVR31 issue - this is a weird one!

BAnderson

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been an Arcam AVR user for the last two decades and have been used to the patience you need to get over the bumps and niggles. I installed my new AVR31 about 6 months ago and two issues surfaced that are simply weird:

1. Power crash

About 2 or 3 times per month, I am unable to wake the unit up using the remote, the source select or the main power switch, the unit seems to have crashed. The only way to power up is to unplug the mains and wait for the capacitors to fully discharge before plugging the power cable back in.

2. The other issue is the difference in volume:

Normal listening volume for a Dolby Digital/Amos signal is about 55db
Dolby Surround is about 38db

So when I watch a TV show that is broadcasting in DD and you cut to the adverts which can be in DS, the volume is too loud. So I am constantly changing the volume dependent on the signal format.

I have waited patiently for a software update (currently IAP 1.58 and NET 1585) but none has been forthcoming. I've raised a ticket with Harmon Tech support and they are looking into this.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues? if so, how did you resolve them?

I have been an Arcam AVR user for the last two decades and have been used to the patience you need to get over the bumps and niggles. I installed my new AVR31 about 6 months ago and two issues surfaced that are simply weird:

1. Power crash

About 2 or 3 times per month, I am unable to wake the unit up using the remote, the source select or the main power switch, the unit seems to have crashed. The only way to power up is to unplug the mains and wait for the capacitors to fully discharge before plugging the power cable back in.

2. The other issue is the difference in volume:

Normal listening volume for a Dolby Digital/Amos signal is about 55db
Dolby Surround is about 38db

So when I watch a TV show that is broadcasting in DD and you cut to the adverts which can be in DS, the volume is too loud. So I am constantly changing the volume dependent on the signal format.

I have waited patiently for a software update (currently IAP 1.58 and NET 1585) but none has been forthcoming. I've raised a ticket with Harmon Tech support and they are looking into this.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues? if so, how did you resolve them?

1) Changing the HDMI Bypass & IP setting within HDMI settings to "HDMI & IP On" should fix it

2) This issue can be caused by the Dolby Audio Processing Mode in the input config menu. Make sure this setting is set to "Off".

Thank you for your help Krobar, I tried this but sadly it didn't work. I've attached a photo of my current HDMI settings. Perhaps there's something in here that's wrong?

Attachments

• Amp2.jpg
    Amp2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 96
1) Changing the HDMI Bypass & IP setting within HDMI settings to "HDMI & IP On" should fix it

2) This issue can be caused by the Dolby Audio Processing Mode in the input config menu. Make sure this setting is set to "Off".
I have the same issue 2) on my JBL SDR-38. I solved that by upmixing DD 2.0 Input to DS.. then all TV Channels have more or less the same volume level and DS Upmixing of DD 2.0 sounds better anyway)

Krobar you are a genius!! It worked!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom