Arcam AVR300 vs H/K AVR430 with B&W DM603 S3

Hybe

Standard Member
Reaction score
is it worth the upgrade?
I have a couple of B&W 603 S3 in the front, a LCR600 and a pair of DM600 in the back.

I'm not really happy with the combo; H/K and the B&W 600-series, though i've heard they should match each other well!

I'm using my system listening to music in stereomode as much as I am watching movies in 5.1-mode, I would say...

What exactly aren't you happy with.

And what are you using as your source?

Hybe said:
is it worth the upgrade?
I have a couple of B&W 603 S3 in the front, a LCR600 and a pair of DM600 in the back.

I'm not really happy with the combo; H/K and the B&W 600-series, though i've heard they should match each other well!

I'm using my system listening to music in stereomode as much as I am watching movies in 5.1-mode, I would say...

I have the very same system you want to upgrade too.
And I think it sounds Great!

What do you want to know?
See my sig

Duster said:
I have the very same system you want to upgrade too.
And I think it sounds Great!

What do you want to know?
See my sig

I haven't compared my speakers with any receiver other than my H/K...,
but for some reason I'm not really happy with the sound they produce together! It feels like the H/K is lacking the power my DM603 needs. The sound isn't as present as I wanted it to be.

My question:
Have you compared the speakers with any other receiver?

edit: grammar

In what way are you not happy with the sound?

I'm no AV expert, just a bit of a plain stereo hifi fan, but have you considered a Denon or Rotel? Rotel amps really sing with the B&W 600 series, and Denon make some of the best AV receivers generally. The amp/speaker interface can throw up some surprising results though (good and bad) and should be auditioned together because of it.

Surely a friendly local dealer can loan you these models including the arcam to try out? If i was absolutely forced to buy blind, the Rotel would be a safe bet for me.

i'm not sure I can explain what I don't like about the sound, but it feels "closed-in" :)

In Sweden, where I live, there are only a couple of stores that do sell the Arcam receiver..., both are located in Stockholm, aprox. 80km from where I live...,

and yeah I really would like to try the Arcam against my H/K side by side, with my B&W speakers before I decide...
It's a pretty expensive upgrade, and I want to know if it's really worth it!

It will be hard to help you without knowing exactly what we are trying to correct.

There are a number of possible things to look at. It could be the source or room acoustics that is causing your issue.

I don’t know much about the HK ?30 series of amps, but I am a big fan of the pre-amp section in the ?500 series (AVR 4500 and upwards). So assuming that the 430 is similar to this, you may benefit by adding a power amp into your setup to drive the 603’s.

If you can find something 2nd hand, it would reduce the cost. And if it doesn’t improve the sound, it can be sold for close to your purchase price.

Hybe said:
but for some reason I'm not really happy with the sound they produce together! It feels like the H/K is lacking the power my DM603 needs. The sound isn't as present as I wanted it to be.

My question:
Have you compared the speakers with any other receiver?

edit: grammar
Hi,
Ive only ever used my 603's with my old AVR which was a Yamaha RX-V640rds, This I found to be good with DVD's but poor with stereo, I found the sound sounded thin, and lacking in the mid ranges with stereo.

The Arcam AVR 300 has a much fuller sound, and i'm very happy with it for stereo and DVD.

If I was you, go out and get a Demo with the AVR 300 and the 603's together and see if you like the sound, I know that I do.
Good Luck

Hybe said:
i'm not sure I can explain what I don't like about the sound, but it feels "closed-in" :)

Yes I understand what you mean, my yamaha was like this with stereo,
Are you happy with your AVR with DVD ?

You have to pay alot of money for a AVR, that is good with DVD and stereo, like the arcam.

Hybe said:
HK should have no issues with powering your B&W's i think more improvement in sound could perhaps be had with audio calibration or in room treatment....
if the room is worng throwing more money at the elctronics wont help.....

have anybody listened to the B&W 600-series with a H/K receiver and compared it to other brands?
Some says it's a great match, other says that they don't match each other well at all!

Hybe - I used to run the B&W 600 S3 with a HK AVR5500 and IMHO it sounded superb but then i changed my amp to the Pioneer AX5i and the B&W's did not sound too good at all they became way too bright for my likeing.

recruit said:
Hybe - I used to run the B&W 600 S3 with a HK AVR5500 and IMHO it sounded superb but then i changed my amp to the Pioneer AX5i and the B&W's did not sound too good at all they became way too bright for my likeing.

okay, but I guess the DM603S3 is a bit harder to handle..., I have a couple od DM600 in the back

Hybe said:
okay, but I guess the DM603S3 is a bit harder to handle..., I have a couple od DM600 in the back

Sorry i think you misunderstood i had the 600 series speaker package which included the 603's at the front and the 601,s at the rear.

recruit said:
Sorry i think you misunderstood i had the 600 series speaker package which included the 603's at the front and the 601,s at the rear.

oohh!
And you liked the sound with the H/K?! cool!
it's a lttle bit more power than my AVR430, but I guess the diffrenece would be minimal...

Tried with any other receiver other than Ax5i?

I have heard the H/K AVR630 powering Monitor Audio Silver 6 AV package and that sounded very nice indeed, i ended up getting the MA's after the B&W package as i also heard them with the Pioneer AX5i and prefered the sound.
Imo the MA's are alot smoother sounding than the 600 series from B&W.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom