Arcam AVR300 + Totem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sauruman, Feb 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sauruman

sauruman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about this >< close to laying money down on my new home theatre system - namely an AVR300 and DV79, but am having some trouble choosing the speakers.

I've auditioned what my local shop has, namely Totem, Sonus Faber and Martin Logan. My wife really likes the Totem Forests, with the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home coming in a close second. Any thoughts on these? For our tastes, the ML's were lacking energy and a little too 'beamy'.

I've listened to both and they seem to drive pretty well (both speakers were fairly fresh out of the box and haven't settled down tonally yet), but I have heard that the Forests are demanding to drive. Are there any Totem users here? Am I going to end up needing more amplification to really bring these speakers to life?

Any thoughts on the SF's?

thanks much for helping a newbie out. I just got here recently and have been lurking while I plan my purchase. :)

cheers
    S.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm using Arro's bi-amped with my AVR300, and I'm very happy with the result. No problems driving them with the AVR, although I don't often listen at very loud levels.

3. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Totem Forest's with the AVR300, with Totem Model1 Signature for center and Rainmakers for surrounds and am really happy with the setup. It really is awesome for surround sound.

Please note, however, that I'm a music aficianado rather that an audiophile so I can't really comment on the setup with regard to perfectionist expectations.

4. sauruman

sauruman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncanny! That is precisely the setup that I'm considering, with the addition of a Lightning or Thunder sub. Whoa.

Out of curiousity, did you find the highs on the Forests somewhat pronounced until they broke in? How long have you had the setup?

5. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the complete setup since the summer. I don't really find the highs pronounced although, as you probably know, these characteristics change dramatically depending on the acoustic properties of your listening environment. My room is full of books, carpets, stuffed couches etc which has the effect of dampening brightness.

6. sauruman

sauruman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. Are you running a sub too? Totem as well?

7. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - the totem sub is WAY too pricey - I have an Energy 10.2 - seems to do the job. I got this for a great price - apparently cosmetically damaged but I've yet to figure out where.