1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300 Software/Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by logoguy905, Sep 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. logoguy905

logoguy905

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All!

I'm having some problems with my Arcam 300 receiver. Would anyone know if the situations listed below can all be fixed with a software upgrade? Mine shipped with 2.6+

Thanks!
    Paul

Issues:

When switching to another source after watching a DVD, the unit sometimes goes silent. At times the front panel has stopped responding to the remote and front panel operation. A hard reset of power on the front of the unit corrects. Guarenteed a source could be active one minute, then it goes silent the next. Even cranking the volume you could hear nothing until the unit was hard reset. Sometimes, the unit just shuts itself off for no apparent reason. I've checked all wiring, etc throughly... no cause for this... I was not pushing the unit hard at the time it clicked off on its own, and no other item in my rack was responding wierdly to any power surge, etc.

When playing a DVD with DD, the center channel almost always is not decoded. Leaving the DVD player playing, and soft cycling power on the unit corrects. Sound is then restored to the CC.

In general, the center channel, when being decoded with DD, can sound a bit weak... or thin and sharp... when compared with my matching fronts. DTS or PLII sounds just fine. Tried messing around to find out what was wrong... so I tried to downmix the DD signals to the two front speakers. Works, except the left speaker sounds a lowder in the vocals than the right speaker. Before I'm asked, all fronts are of equal distance to my sitting positition, and I have distance and trim accurately adjusted in the unit. I have also ruled out my DVD player, because my sat signal when pumping out DD has the same effect... just not that often.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You have a new PM

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have not purchased my center and rear speakers, because I was disappointed with the way the center channel speaker sounded when I brought it home for an audition (i.e. thin and a little tinny). When I returned the speakers to my dealer, he placed it back it into his system and it sounded just fine. The rear speakers sounded great and matched quite well with the Quads. I just felt that using a "phantom" center channel sounded fuller and more natural. BTW, the center speaker I auditioned was a Magnepan and my current front speakers are Quad ESL57s. Could this be a function of the AVR300?

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    More likely a room interation, sometimes refections off the screen can make center speakers have a very odd frequecny response.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that center speaker placement can make a big difference. I had my center speaker on a shelf of the TV stand. Recently, I built a shelf above the TV and put the center speaker there, but sitting on a Dynaudio center stand that's angled slightly downwrds.

That made a major improvement to the sound: fuller, more detail, and better integration with the mains in terms of imaging and timbre. It's as if I upgraded the speaker altogether.

My wife (who usually says she doesn't care) noticed the improvement immediately.

6. logoguy905

logoguy905

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My quibble with the CC is not the sound in general... PLII sounds just fine and great. But DD decoding (when it works) can make the CC sometimes sound scratchy and thin. No probs with DTS.

I built my AV stand to accomodate the CC directly under the TV. Being aware of how easy it is to make a CC sound boxy if it's recessed at all, I made sure that there's zero blockage around the front of the speaker from radiating out. The CC is very large... about 1.5 ft deep by 2.5 ft wide, so mounting on top or above a TV just would not work.

Of interesting note: When I do tone level tests on my speakers with the AVR300, the front left speaker sounds at least 2 db louder than all of the other speakers. All wiring was checked... can't eplain it. Now have the CC and right speaker boosted by 2 db to make up for the mismatch. Could this be a software glitch too?

7. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dean,
    Do you note any difference with the center angled down or not?
    I'm in the same situation here, with the speaker "built in" on a shelf above the Plasma, some 45 cm above ear level. Bit difficult to try in my setup, hope you can try?
    Barend

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can give it a try sometime, but it probably won't be this weekend. I'll be doing an A/B audition of my DV88+/SiI504 component with a dealer DV79 HDMI and don't won't to change my setup.

But...my center stand comes with 2 angle wedges, 4 deg and 8.5 deg. I tried both and found it sounded just a bit better with the 4 deg. I also tried the stand with and without the spikes. It looked better without, but sounds better with.

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine is 13" deep x 2 ft wide, and 25lbs. If you follow link to for my home theater in my sig, you'll find a couple of links to pictures (under the Pictures section) showing how I solved the problem.

10. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try swapping the connections to the left/right speakers? This would tell you if your left speaker is actually louder or if it's the left channel of the avr 300. If it's the speaker that's louder you could then physically move the speakers to swap left for right to see if it's the speaker or its location.