Arcam AVR300 Software/Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by logoguy905, Sep 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. logoguy905

logoguy905

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All!

I'm having some problems with my Arcam 300 receiver. Would anyone know if the situations listed below can all be fixed with a software upgrade? Mine shipped with 2.6+

Thanks!
    Paul

Issues:

When switching to another source after watching a DVD, the unit sometimes goes silent. At times the front panel has stopped responding to the remote and front panel operation. A hard reset of power on the front of the unit corrects. Guarenteed a source could be active one minute, then it goes silent the next. Even cranking the volume you could hear nothing until the unit was hard reset. Sometimes, the unit just shuts itself off for no apparent reason. I've checked all wiring, etc throughly... no cause for this... I was not pushing the unit hard at the time it clicked off on its own, and no other item in my rack was responding wierdly to any power surge, etc.

When playing a DVD with DD, the center channel almost always is not decoded. Leaving the DVD player playing, and soft cycling power on the unit corrects. Sound is then restored to the CC.

In general, the center channel, when being decoded with DD, can sound a bit weak... or thin and sharp... when compared with my matching fronts. DTS or PLII sounds just fine. Tried messing around to find out what was wrong... so I tried to downmix the DD signals to the two front speakers. Works, except the left speaker sounds a lowder in the vocals than the right speaker. Before I'm asked, all fronts are of equal distance to my sitting positition, and I have distance and trim accurately adjusted in the unit. I have also ruled out my DVD player, because my sat signal when pumping out DD has the same effect... just not that often.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I can't help with most of your problems as my AVR300 doesn't exhibit them (I don't know my software version and can't check as I'm at work).

I have had the unit switch into standby a couple of times - have you got the speaker impedance switch on the back set correctly for your speakers as, if not correctly set, the unit can shut down?

HTH

John

3. logoguy905

logoguy905

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first brought the unit home I made sure it was set to 8 ohms. My speakers are 8 ohms.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    My speakers are 8ohms as well and that's how I set the switch. I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the amp cutting out and he suggested setting the switch to 4 ohms instead.

John

5. logoguy905

logoguy905

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That kind of negates the need for an ohm switch though. Will give it a try, thank you... However, it was the smaller issue beside the DD decoding and CC issues... can anyone help?

Thanks Paul

6. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried asking in the Arcam forum on this site, you might get some useful help there?

Steff