Arcam AVR300 replacement to suit PMC speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StephenH, Mar 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. StephenH

StephenH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All :hiya:

My faithful Arcam AVR300 of 7+ years is slowly dying and having had two previous repairs, I think retirement is looking inevitable.

Before buying the Arcam I demo’d various other AV amps. The more lively Japanese amps of 7+ years ago such as those from Denon were completely different to listen to – far more lively for films but lacking the lovely warm, mid-range rich sound of the Arcam, particularly when listening to stereo music.

My speakers are as follows:
    Front: PMC TB2
    Centre: PMC TB2C
    Rear: PMC DB1

I would also like to buy a CD & Blu-ray player, with SACD and DVD-audio being a bonus if possible. I was about to buy the Oppo BDP103 to make the most of the AVR300 (no HDMI) but if I am to replace the Arcam then I am open to alternatives.

So I am hopeful that other ex Arcam or current PMC owners whose priority is music over movies (although I do enjoy a good lively film) can point me in the best direction with advice on what to demo as a replacement. My budget probably won’t stretch to another Arcam, and with questionable reliability I am prepared to look elsewhere….sadly.

The total budget of ~£1500 is not necessarily going to stretch to a true upgrade :rolleyes:, but currently being considered are the following:
    Anthem MX300 with Oppo BDP103

I am happy to consider second-hand, but do want something that can get the best from all the HD formats – otherwise I may as well get the Arcam repaired…again :eek:

Any ideas? :lease:

Thank you.

2. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Anthem MRX300 is a good choice.

I would also look at the Yamaha Aventage range as well.