Arcam AVR300 problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StrontiumDog, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I own an Arcam AVR300. It is just over 2 years old and I have started having some problems with it. What happens is that when in use it starts automatically switching between analogue/digital/dolby of it's own accord. As it does this, you can hear cracking through the speakers which sounds like static. Then the sound cuts off completely. Don't have a problem when listening through stereo direct. This doesn't happen all the time, just randomly.

I think it may be a problem with the DSP/deccoding. I have anologue connections at the moment as these are the only connections that I can get a signal through. I did have an optical connection but that doesn't work at all now.

Does anybody have any idea what can be causing this problem or has anybody encountered a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

2. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hope it's still under warranty! Will probably need new DSP chip or whatever it's called. I had the same (you can find my thread somewhere), as did at least one other forum member

3. Hudsy

Hudsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My AVR300 is currently in getting repaired for absolutely no sound when connected to a digital source. It should be back when I return from vacation next week, :lease:

Dave

4. edgayton

edgayton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happened to me too. Needed a new set of diodes or something. I couldn't get anything through the digital inputs and the DSP modes stopped working. Got it fixed under warranty.

5. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, it seems my receiver has the same problem. No sound except for when I choose CD and DIRECT.

Does anyone know how much service like this costs? I have sent a question to Arcam since my device is 2 yrs, 4 months...

Does Arcam have quality problems? Seems like this is not the first device this has happened to.

6. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Did you get a response from Arcam as to the cost?

7. chrisor

chrisor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Deancm, I had the DSP problem which was repaired by replacing a number of diodes on some power supply board. Whilst this was replaced with the warranty period I would have been fairly motivated to ask that this be repaired free from ARCAM with the reasoning that this is a known issue (if I was out of the warranty period). I have detailed this in a reply post on the forum and would detail the link if I had the knowledge on forum technology. In regard to the problem again, I did read that another solution was to replace the whole power supply module so you should keep this in mind when you are using the search function.

Regards

8. iyyeh

iyyeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone knows how much roughly the dsp diodes/board costs?

i really have the same problem. digital audio is faulty. only works on direct analogue.

3 years old now. obviously out of warranty. but....as i can see from the above thread, is it possible to still get a free repair from arcam since it's a known problem to this unit?

any experience?

9. gadio

gadio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the exact same problem. Mine started within a couple months. I sent it back for repairs (turnaound about 3 weeks). No problem for 6 months (they said firmware). Same thing started again, randomely in digital processing modes. Took it back to my local dealer and told them I wasn't comfortable with repair, asked to upgrade (I would pay the difference) to AVR 350. Haven't looked back since. I have a great local dealer in Jacksonville FL (House of Stereo) that have been nothing but professional and respectful of my concerns. Arcam products represent some of the most thoughtful designs in audio, I think this is just a software issue they corrected. If you search this site you will find others that had this issue. Hope this helps....:thumbsup:

10. zirconium

zirconium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the same problem :thumbsdow

My link

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828021

And I thought Arcam are mean't to me very reliable! so thats what I was told.

11. useless

useless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is my first post here, i'm from italy so please excuse me for my bad english

i have an avr300 until 2004 and i've got the same problem: the amp starts and sounds normally, then.. silence, a disturbed rumour by the speakers

i plug in the headsets (!!!!!), then plug out and arcam restarts to give music

it's random :(

where may i find an electric scheme please? in Italy they says "NO" when i asked for :thumbsdow

12. sebcobb

sebcobb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had the same problem and after the third trip to the repairer they called Arcams distributor here in Australia and Arcam have provided a new Digital Board for free . I was well out of warrantee as I bought mine 4 years ago and I think this highlights their superior customer service!!

13. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi,

Even if this not directly related to the post, I have to mention that I experienced the same problem with my AVP700. It worked well in analogue mode, but gave a "crippled" sound when used in digital mode.
    The explanation of the french Arcam technician at that time was following : Arcam has calibrated the power directed to the DSP on the UK standards. If the electrical scheme of your country varies, the DSP doesn't receive enough power so it just starts/stops everything fraction of a second... which gives the "crippled sound". It may work for several seconds/minutes if the machine is left to sleep unused for some hours.
    The guy took my machine, opened it up, took away everything that was in it until he reaches the DSP board. He unsoldered some resistors ; soldered some others (bigger ones...) back... and there we go ;-)
    Did not experience any problems since then. I must say that :
    - the machine was out of warranty since a month or so when the problem was reported ;
    - they repaired in front of me so I went, and got it back a couple of hours later (I'm living next to the french Arcam tech center...)
    - I sold the AVP700 a couple of months later, stating about this problem and left the buyer with all my phones just in case it happens again... haven't heard from the day I sold the machine about 2 years ago.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

14. Robert9830

Robert9830
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, mine has the same problem. It just happened for the third time in 3 years!! First one got fixed under warranty the second one, got mine back last week, cost me 250 sterling. Not happy!! Going back to my dealer and demand a solution.

15. mementos

mementos
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When it comes to power supply board, does this mean "PSU board"? or power supplying area on the main board? I think there are diodes on both boards.

Thanks
    MJ