Arcam AVR300 Or Cambridge Azur640R?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rabidrat50, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rabidrat50

rabidrat50
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Afer the demise of my av receiver and the stubborness of my insurace company to give me anything aprroacing its value (£500 i will be receiving) I find myself on the lookout for a decent Av amp that is excellent with music as well. And somthing that I can add a stereo integrated amp to -at a later date when finances allow.( like an FMJ A32 or Azur 840A and use the av driving the centre & rear speakers. I have auditioned a 640R and was extremley impressed with the sound and its only £600. my seavenoakes dealer in oxford can get me an Arcam AVR 300 for £795. My source is an Arcam FMJ139 for dvd/cd playback & Accoustic energy 109 floorstanders.
    I dont care about hdmi switching as my Panasonic plasma is connected directly to the FMJ139 via a QED SR hdmi cable. I am unable to get a home demo of the arcam AVR300 so I would like anyone's thoughts on which av amp would be best for stereo & sacd playback?

2. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The Arcam will not disapoint, if stereo is important to you it's a very good choice :thumbsup:

The 300 was £1200 a few months back so at £800 it's a real bargain, however I think I've seen second hand ones for about £600 if you wan't to save even more. My ex dem 350 cost me 1K for the extra £200 I think it was money well spent.

I have always been very AV'centric but my 350 coupled with my PMC DB1+ speakers has lead me to rediscover my CD collection and I'm now contemplating getting a SACD spinner as I'm finding I'm finding more and more time to enjoy music.

I'm not saying I'm a stereophobe, I had a nice Cyrus setup previously with a Cyrus 7 integrated amp and a Cyrus CD8X but I decided to sell it and re-invest the money into my AV gear as I thought I'd get more use out of it. Ironically selling my stereo has now lead me to enjoy stereo more. :suicide:

I havent heard any CA equipment for a few years so I can't comment on a direct comparison, only that I'm really happy with my Arcam AVR for stereo duties.

Good luck!

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Personally I'd go for the Arcam (but then I'm a great fan of Arcam and own a 300) but the 640R gets a very good review in this months HiFi News.

John

4. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a lovely dilemma to be in:D Either of the two will give you superb stereo playback and an excellent movie experience without the sound degrading frills that other AV Receivers have:)

5. rabidrat50

rabidrat50
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for al your comments, My dealer said she would drop the price and let me have the AVR300 for £725 Brand new & boxed plus she will give me 20% off my speaker cable & interconnects as well., I like the idea of bi-amping rather than bi-wiring my AE109's and I dont know if the 640R would let me do that. Hopefull the sound will tide me over until i can afford a decent dedicated 2 channel amp. I too love the arcam sound and i am really pleased with the service & customer commitment from arcam & Sevenoakes oxford. So based on everything so far it sounds like the arcam gets the thumbs up.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think you'll be very happy with the stereo performance of the AVR300 - I was and it served me very well until I was able to go for a dedicated (all Arcam) stereo setup.

John

7. ozzie_george

ozzie_george

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi-fi buffs,
    here is a link for you people that know what you are looking.
    not me though
    it's a test done by miller audio research.
    i see the avr300 failed on 3 of the tests.:thumbsdow
    dynamic power output into 4ohms FAILED
    dynamic range @20bits FAILED
    noise modulation FAILED
    anyway have a look,have a few other tests from other brands on there.
    www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/
    if it was my money i would go for the 640r,more future proof + better value for money.:thumbsup:

8. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    She?

9. rabidrat50

rabidrat50
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes She is the Manager of sevenoaks oxford and she is extremely knowledgeable as well as being extremley helpful. in fact they all are at the oxford branch. Richer sounds were helpful too but nowhere near as knowledgeable. Thats why I contnue to shop at Sevenoaks. Why did you say She anyway... Hi-fi isnt gender specific.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Precisely, Emma is usually always very helpful.

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    . o 0 (as i wandered lonely as a cloud, i felt the pull of a phrase on high, what was it now?, oh yes, lets keep on topic, aye?)

12. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Interested to find out in more detail what you thought of the 640R. I'm still contemplating getting one of these to upgrade my 540Rv1.