1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300 Operational Questions

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RacerChris, Mar 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. RacerChris

RacerChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody. I searched and found this forum so I can learn more about the AVR300. The recent review in Widescreen Review caught my eye and so am considering this unit to replace my aging Yamaha RX-V1 which was top of the line a few years back. The rest of my system includes B&W Nautilus 804s, HTM1 with in-ceiling CC65 for the rear.

Anyways, my system is a part of a whole-house AV system and wanted to confirm a few things about the AVR-300.

1. If a source has both Composite and Component Video, will the AVR300 be able to output Composite to Zone 2 while Zone 1 gets Component?

2. In your opinion, will the AVR300 improve the sound from my current Yamaha RX-V1?

3. Can the remote be used to select the Input that will be sent to Zone 2?

4. Does Biamping the front mains using the AVR300 really improve on the sound? Does it result in a bump in output vs not biamping?

5. Is the OSD overlaid onto the Component Video signal?

6. Can all the digital inputs be ressigned to other Inputs or are they preset?

7. Can the names of the Video Inputs be customized or are they preset?

Thanks everyone for your help. Just want to be sure I understand the operational characteristics of this Beast before I get too much further in considering it.

Chris

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi in reply to your questions:

1. If a source has both Composite and Component Video, will the AVR300 be able to output Composite to Zone 2 while Zone 1 gets Component?

Yes that is how it is designed to work.

2. In your opinion, will the AVR300 improve the sound from my current Yamaha RX-V1?

I shouldn't really make value judgements, but I would be very dissapointed if it didn't :)

3. Can the remote be used to select the Input that will be sent to Zone 2?

Yes, either by adding a IR reciever in Z2 or by using the menu in Z1, you can do this without the OSD but you only have a one line display on the front. Currentlly there are no descrete codes available to control Z2 in Z1.

4. Does Biamping the front mains using the AVR300 really improve on the sound? Does it result in a bump in output vs not biamping?

I belive it does, but again its a value judgement.

5. Is the OSD overlaid onto the Component Video signal?

Yes, OSD is avaialble on composite, S-Video and Component / RGB. It is not available on progressive scan signals but the unit will detect this and for the menu screens display a black background. Volume bar etc. are automatically turned off.

6. Can all the digital inputs be ressigned to other Inputs or are they preset?

They can all be reassigned.

7. Can the names of the Video Inputs be customized or are they preset?

The video names are preset.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Robin Francis

Robin Francis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answer to q 3.
    If you set the IR code base for zone 2 to code 19 (v.2.95 or later is required) you can control zone 2 (most things) from the main zone without an IR receiver. The AUX button on the CR80 remote can be configured for this. The manual for the CR80 states how to.
    I use mine like this and it works great!