1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300 Frequency Response

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bails, Jun 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am seriously considering the Arcam AVR300 receiver, principally for its audio capabilities. However, I'm a little concerned about the rated frequency response (20Hz - 20 Khz) for high resolution (sacd) sources. My Marantz sacd player, for instance, is rated from 2Hz to 50,000 Khz when in 'custom' mode. Does anyone have any views/experience on this? In particular, is it just the Arcam amplifier section that is limited or is it also the preamp section?
    Thanks.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The AVR300 specifcation is a completely flat specifcation and is also true for the digital processing section of the processor. The analogue bandwidth of the product (i.e when it is in direct mode) is much wider. Most manufacturers use the -3dB point as the specifcation point (as this is what is used in fliter design), we however rate them to be flat for the usefull range of human hearing.

I have just measured the AVR300 to see if I could get the 3dB point measuerments for you on the CD input. In direct mode, from the CD input to the power amplifer ouputs, the -3dB point frequency measurement is 190KHz.

The measurement equipment I was using will not go below 10Hz however at 10Hz the unit is only about 0.18dB down so the 3dB point for low frequencies is probably around 0.5Hz

The practical upshot of this is that you will not be loosing anything in terms of frequency response using the AVR300. My experience is in fact that the frequency response range is not the most significant factor in the sound quality of a product.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Andrew. I have listened to the AVR300 and think it's a great sounding receiver. Your comments on the frequency response are exactly what I was hoping to hear!