1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300 DSP 1.12 upgrade - Sound change?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by roffe, Jun 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I upgraded the software of my AVR300 from 2.67 to 3.16, a major leap, to be sure. On the ride, I also upgraded the DSP to 1.12 first, as recommended.

When listening I notice 2 changes that are probably affected by the DSP upgrade:

1. The volume seems louder on the same setting. Before I usually preferred a setting of 65-70dB when watching normal television, but after the upgrade even 60dB seems loud, and I find myself watching with the volume on 55dB. I think this is an improvement, since I sometimes during serious loudspeker testing found that I was close to the limit of the volume level setting.

2. When using a stereo source, wether it is analog or stereo PCM, I find the high frequencies a bit more stressed and even a little less detailed. This does not occur when I turn on Stereo Direct, which is definately more balanced (and should run without the DSP). I use Tone bypass. I will test with more material, but I am not sure if DSP 1.12 is an improvement in all departments...

Any other experiences with sound changes when upgrading the DSP?

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not really, as I started from 2.90 so I always have had the DSP 1.12. Have you checked the release notes on the changes? and/or maybe Andy could give some input here on his findings/alterations that have been made

3. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alas, I only find Release Notes on the software upgrades, not on the DSP 1.12 upgrade.

If I understand it correctly, the ordinary software upgrade upgrades the microcontroller in AVR300 that handles logic and settings, but not the actual sound processing, while the DSP handles sound processing, and is a more real-time processing peace of hardware.

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see if I can find the old release notes. I hope I saved them on my PC. (there were posted on the ASLgroup website once)

5. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what is different between the different DSP upgrades yet? I am pretty sure that the high frequencies are more pronounced after the upgrade, and would really like to know if this is only in my head or if the DSP upgrade has changed the sound in some way...

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The DSP upgrade should not change the actual processing in any way. What it added was some code to allow processing for higher sample rate signals. The standard 44.1K and 48K DSP code remains unchanged.

What has changed is some of the level balancing between different decoding algorithms. This basically means the volume control is set differently for different decoding modes. Again as this is just an offset between what is displayed on the volume control number and what is actually set on the internal control. So it should not change the sound quality.

Did you reset the unit after the upgrade as it is possible that the configuration is corrupted. You do this in the engineering menu, RDSinfo + Preset tune together on the front panel takes you into this menu use ^V arrows to navigate to the restore option make sure you leave the RC5 codes alone otherwise it will stop responding to the remote control, set restore to yes then exit using Ok on the exit option. This will clear ALL of your settings so you may want to note them down first.

Regards,
    Andrew

7. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be in my head, then... Tried a reset as suggested now, but no change.