Arcam AVR300 and PMC Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brahms, Jan 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. brahms

brahms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Currently I have two systems in the same room linked by the DV139.

For stereo (2,000 classical CDs so important to me) I use DV139, A32, P35 and PMC OB1s.

For multichannel/DVD I use DV139, AVR300 and Quad 21L F&R, Quad L Centre, Quad 12L rears and REL sub.

I am now seriously thinking about upgrading the multichannel/DVD sound by replacing the Quads woth a PMC CB6i Centre and DB1i rears and utilising the OB1s in this. This will mean switching speaker cables to the OB1s depending if I'm playing CDs or DVD/SACD/DVAs.

Questions!

1. Will the AVR300 be sufficient to drive the PMC set up?

2. Any suggestions for saving having to switch speaker cables between CD (A32/P35) and multichannel (AVR300) without a lot of extra expenditure (the CB6i and DB1is are going to cost enough!) whilst still maintaining CD sound quality?

Really will appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks

2. Turtles

Turtles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I recently auditioned the AVR280 (bi amped) and the PMC OB1's and have to tell you that I didn't think that PMC's had enough power to get the most from them (I was dissappointed).

I realise that the AVR300's have slightly more power than the 280's, so it would be worth trying but I think that the amp will be the weakest link.

I was hoping that I could use my AVR350 with the OB1's but I think that the result would be lacking impact and control until I also get a power amp.

I do hasten to add that I haven't tried the speakers with the higher output amps so if you try the OB1's with the AVR300 I would be interested in your findings.

3. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    If I have understood you correctly, you should combine your system completely and then no switching cables etc.
    1. DV139 to AVR300 by digital +/- 5.1 analog cables
    2. DV139 to A32 by analog pair
    3. AVR300 front pre-outs to A32 processor input. This way you use it as a power-amp bypassing volume control when using surround source (I do the same).
    4. Front speakers A32/ P35 biamped, other speakers powered by AVR300.

Theonly issue is whether the AVR300 can effecticely drive your new centre- I would guess it can, otherwise see if you can get the 3rd channel module for your P35 and then also biamp the centre!

Hope this makes sense:)

4. brahms

brahms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks proux.

I have connected as you suggest. Should the AVR300 in mch dictate the volume for all the speakers? I find that it does not have any affect on the front speaker volume this having to be done on the A32 and thus a juggling act to balance front speakers and centre speaker. I must be going wrong somewhere! Any suggestions?

Thanks

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    You need to make sure that you have connected the preouts of the AVR300 to the TAPE input of the A32. You then have to activate the Processor function and set the fixed volume level to its maximum setting. This then allows the TAPE input of the A32 to function with the A32's volume control completely bypassed. All of the volume control can then be done via th AVR300.

6. brahms

brahms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much Crustyloafer. Please excuse my total ignorance but how do I set the fixed volume level to its maximum setting? Is this done through the input trim for the tape input?

Thanks

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    No it is not done using the input trims, the setting for the Processor mode is two along from that. It explains all this in the user manual that came with your A32. Below is the relevant section from the user manual :rtfm: :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. brahms

brahms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks, all working very well now. Just need to buy a PMC CB6 now!