1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300: 2 bugs ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by clauser, Jul 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. clauser

clauser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently tested an AVR300 and had two problems with it. Before buying the AVR300 (or AVP700) i would like to know if other people have seen the same issues.

1) When i switch from stereo DVD (digital in 96/24 from my Philips DVD-963SA) to FM (internal tuner) i get some noise but no sound via the tuner input. I first have to select another source and if i then select tuner, it works.
    2) I have a separate power amplifier and when i try to set the levels (via the preouts of the Arcam), the level does not go up anymore starting from the "7" setting. Setting a speaker level to 7,8,9 or 10 does not change the output level measured with my dB meter. Is this normal ?

The software version was 3.08.

Kind regards,
    Erwin

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erwin,
    on 1) no, I do not have this issue. I have done this a lot, so I assume that this device is faulty. It shouldn't be an issue of the software.
    2) don't know exactly what you mean. Where do you set the levels? I once had connected a P35 to my AVR300 and it work perfectly but I did not have to change the levels for doing that.

3. clauser

clauser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When i try to calibrate (75dB) the AVR300 by means of it's internal test tones, i measure about 73 dB with the AVR300 setting of +7 (in the level setting menu) for the left (or other) speaker. If i raise the (AVR300) internal test tone level to 8,9 or 10, the output level remains about 73 dB. When i raise the internal test tone level from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 or .... , i measure 1 dB more on my dB meter. So it seems that the internal test tone level is not raised above the "7" setting.

Kind regards,
    Erwin

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah, that one. Now I see.
    I have to check for myself this evening.

You could also use a test DVD, which I am using to set the dB levels.

5. clauser

clauser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I also noticed another strange thing with the internal test tone. If i calibrate the AVR300 (using the internal amplifiers), there is no difference in level setting for my front and rear speakers to reach the 75 dB. With all the other surround preamps/receivers i had, the surround speakers needed to be set 2 dB higher than the front speakers to produce 75dB. The 2 dB higher setting is normal because my front and rear speakers are the same and the rear speakers are about 2 (3<->5) meter further from the listening position than the front speakers.

Erwin

6. clauser

clauser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody with the same problems ?

Erwin

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last evening I took my dB meter and tried it myself. I have the same issue. No increase in dB's above level 7 and I use the AVR300 to bi-amp my speakers. I have the latest SW version so I guess it works how it is designed.

For me it is no issue as I calibrate my speakers using a calibration DVD and use the main volume to set it to reference levels.
    You could either go that direction or settle for +0 on your left speaker and set all other speakers relative to that FL speaker. It should be more or less the same. Your left speaker is always your 1st reference and the rest should be alligned to that.

8. Omardris

Omardris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Erwin,

The customization of the loudness of the individual loudspeakers is digitally carried out.
    One cannot increase a signal arbitrarily digitally because otherwise the 24 bits don't reach.
    An increase in 7 dB is already very much and not recommend.

The external amplifier doesn't match the AVR300.
    The amplification factor is too low.
    The internal amplifier of the AVR300 therefore works better.

But this isn't a problem:

Take a level of 70 -71 db for the adjusting of the loudspeakers.
    This also suffices to adjust the differences.

PF

PS: Excuse me, my English isn't so good

9. clauser

clauser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have another AVR300 and see the same 2 issues. It seems indeed that the level settings 7,8,9 and 10 don't work properly. It is the first time i see such a problem and i had/tested many receivers/processors before. But now i calibrated my AVR300 on 70dB and this works fine.

The problem when i switch from the DVD input (after decoding a 96/24 stereo signal) to the tuner also exists in my new AVR300, so i guess this must be a bug. When i switch from DVD to tuner after a Dolby Digital signal, every thing works.

I currently have version 3.00-3.08 on my AVR300. Can anyone provide me with the latest version ? Thanks ...

Kind regards,
    Erwin

BTW, i think the sound of this amplifier is really great for the price, even after only a few hours of use :)

10. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seemed to come across the same issue. Strange as I did not have this problem before or it must be alligned to the decoding you choose when playing DVD's.

I watched LOTR (default sound settings, so could be DTS or DD) and afterwards I switched back to the tuner and had no sound at all. Switching to other sources did not help either.

I have the latest sw version. Anyone else with this flaw?

11. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems to be fixed in SW 3.28