Arcam AVR280 fan noise and green light

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marmoset, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    Since earlier on today my AVR280 has been a noisy beast. A green LED inside the unit keeps coming on and off (visible by looking through the top vents). the green light will come on for around 2 seconds then go off for around a second; this cycle is repeating without any break. The green light is accompanied by what sounds like a fan whirring up and it's obtrusively loud. The fan is on and off in time with the green led coming on and off.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how I could possibly fix it please?

2. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any ideas anyone? When I first switch it on there's no problem and the problem kicks in when it heats up, even in a cold room. Would it be a good idea opening it up and clearing up the dust with some compressed air?

3. johnc7803

johnc7803
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marmoset,

I had a similar thing happening on my AVR350 over christmas - thought it was just over use - as it was on almost all day, every day for a week and a bit.

Mine didn't feel overly hot, but the fan would come on after about 15-20 mins and then just stay on, until it was finally powered off.

I also saw the green light showing through the vent, but to be honest, I couldn't say when that started, as it is usually not visible through the shelf above.

I tried a good attack of the hoover, gently of course, but that made no difference, so I bit the bullet and boxed it up and took it back to Sevenoaks Audio, who are sending it back to Arcam.

Its out of warranty, so hoping its not serious.

Willl let you know as soon as I hear anything, although it may be some time....

Happy New Year to all !

John

4. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply John. Let us know how it goes with Arcam. My 280 is also out of warranty and I would be interested to hear how much they charge for fixing it.

5. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi John,
    Was there any outcome to this. I'm assuming that you've heard back from Arcam by now.

6. johnc7803

johnc7803
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have just chased up the shop, as I'd heard nothing, they are now chasing Arcam to get an update and will then let me know.

Bit of a delay, but I'd been away as well, so hadn't realised it had been so long - 6 weeks and counting...

Will update when I get any further info

John

7. johnc7803

johnc7803
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Latest update,

Spoke to the shop, who then called Arcam. Its been on extended test, and they cannot get the fan to come on, so have no ideas.
    Its now coming back to the shop for them to have a go.

Bit of a puzzle, as I had tried disconnecting everything, and the fan was still coming on, and staying on.

Will see what happens when it returns to the shop in the next few days.

Hey ho....

John

8. flynn99

flynn99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The green light is related to the fan noise and should only flicker briefly when the unit is switched on or off. I recently had a problem with an avr300 where when turned on the fans would come on and stay on full blast until theunit was turned off. And also the green light, Replacing the two thermistorsunder the main heat sink (which control the temperature sensor and in turn thefans) fixed this problem. Not saying this is your problem for sure but itsounds very similar

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the update John and for your input errol :)
    I don't get the problem when I first switch on the Arcam from cold, but only when the unit has been on for a while. I've not timed it but I think it's probably over an hour. I think the thing is overheating and I'm going to take the cover off and use a strong blower to remove the dust from inside. Judging by how many times I've cleaned dust from the top of the Arcam, there's probably a carpet layer over the components! If the problem still exists then I'll investigate the thermistors that you kindly mentioned, errol.

10. flynn99

flynn99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay well just remember the fans are not supposed to come on until the main heatsink temperature reaches 85c. Do you have anything stacked on top, because that would do it.

11. johnc7803

johnc7803
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I finally got the amp back from the shop, with no fault found.

Its back in the rack and managed to re-connect most of the things - just have to locate the other cables that i conveniently filed away carefully - somewhere....

Its all working and sounds great again - knocks spots of the old Avr200, although can hardly complain about old faithful.

Have to see how things go, only guess is that the process of disconnecting everything, and packing it all back into the box either shook something back into place, or removed enough dust to make a difference.

Happy listening guys

Cheers

John

12. marmoset

marmoset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the update John. I hope your unit behaves itself from now on!

I'm going to order an electrical dust blower/vacuum before taking the cover off and giving it a really good clean. I'll take a photo before I start on it as I'm sure there's a carpet of dust in there.

Will update here with the results once I've done that.

:)