1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR250 and ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vk2003, Mar 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vk2003

vk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a listen at lunchtime yesterday to Denon 2105, and arcam Avr 200 & 250.

Of course, the AVR 250 blew the other 2 away, but then it is double the price!

Before I make a decision, can anyone suggest any other amps to have a listen to? Likely to be paired with Kef Eggs, and primary use is movie, although some musical ability will be useful. Must admit though, I quite relish the thought of buying a piece of British audio engineering :cool:

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi vk,

IMHO, matching the KEF's with Arcam would not be the best match in the world.

If you are "after some musically ability", I would look at other alternatives than a sub/sat combinations. But there are always other factors that need to be considered (ie WAF) that makes a sub/sat combo the only option.

The Arcam's really do deserve better speakers. And you should also be able to find a 2nd hand AVR200 if you are inclined to go down that path.

3. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Marantz SR 7500 and 8500 are causing a stir, havent listened myself though but do have an 8500 on order, should be here next week.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    While the new wave of receivers do offer substantial value for money, I would be looking at the Ex-Dem or discontinued ranges first. I say this as you may be able to get a substantially better amp for the same or less money. This means that you wont get HDMI or room automated setup (harman/kardon and older Pioneers not withstanding) but you will have a much better receiver. Something like a harman/kardon 8500, Yamaha AZ1 or marantz 9300 or even a Denon AV11R should be available at under £1000. I admit that for KEF Eggs this is most certainly overkill, but when a better alternative is available, then why not get it?

If you want a new, boxed example, then look out for harman/kardon 630 or the newer 635 and Marantz 8500. Both machines should be worth a listen if you are in the market.

Russell