Arcam AVR250 and Monitor Audio Silver RS6

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adamca, Apr 24, 2007.

1. adamca

adamca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi everyone
    Posted this in the amps/receivers forum without much help,hoping to get some here

I am going for a demo of these Two tomorrow, just a couple of quick questions for you experts out there, as I am upgrading from an amp and speakers that I have had for at least 15 years and am a bit behind the times with todays gear.I want them mainly for music at the moment with a view to going 5.1 a bit later down the line, probably using the rest of the Monitor Audio Silver setup.My room size is 4x3m.

1. Are these two a good pairing or is the amp not powerful enough to do the speakers justice?

2. I have managed to get the Arcam reserved for £595 from Sevenoaks is this a good price for this amp as it is being discontinued,also there maybe better amps out there for me to look at around the same price?
    I am not worried about Hdmi

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sounds like a very good combination, monitor audio speakers do not suit all tastes and it can be hard to tell in demo environments if they are to your taste.

If you combine these with suitable components and cables then you should be very happy with them.

Bi-amping would also be advisable. but this is something you can try later on.

I used to have a pair of S6 and found that they could be a tad harsh on the treble if you use the wrong type of cables. Personally i would avoid QED silver aniverary cable or chord charnival as they did not get the best out of my system, try out a few cables if you can and compare. I found that warmer sounding copper cables worked best and other on this forum seem to agree.

Enjoy.:)

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yep enjoy the dem,also don't forget the highly regarded pmc as speakers go particularly well with arcam.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi,
    I run AVR250 & RS6 and am very happy. For me, Bi-Amping using channels 6&7 (See manual for more info etc) made a large difference.
    At about £1200 for the AVR250 & RS6 I can't fault it to be honest. I paid £1600 and am still very happy with the setup.
    PMC's are supposed to be stunning, but generally further up the price range.

Dan.

5. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Bi-amped my RS6 with my 2307 with QED XT cables and they sound great.
    Treble is very nice and bass is really full.:thumbsup:

6. adamca

adamca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all your replies
    Just got home from My demo and unfortunately for Me,was impressed with the sound of the Arcam and the Monitor RS6's but felt the need to listen to the RS8's, big mistake! for My bank balance anyway.I loved the sound from these and managed to get them for £749 with the Arcam at £595,so not a bad price for the two Just need to get it all setup now and enjoy

7. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Congratulations on your purchase!:thumbsup:

Don't forget to update your sig to include your kitlist and sounds like may be worth taking a couple of photo's once setup and put them up in the Member's Home Cinema Gallery.

I'd reckon Bi-Amping will be a must for the RS8's, it should make a clear difference to the sound.

If you want to do any of the above etc, and any info/help needed - just ask.

Dan.

8. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Nice one , Dan.
    Thats the type of Mod , the masses like.:smashin:

9. adamca

adamca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the advice Dan,I think I will have a go at the Bi-amping, if it sounds better than what I have already got it should sound amazing.
    As for pics I dont think my setup is ready for that just yet, but hopefully soon it will be to the standard of some of the setups on these forums.
    Thanks once again

10. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    If you're unsure about bi-amping, then it's pretty much as follows(consult your manual anyway):

With everything off....
    Remove bi-amp links from back of the front speakers.

Make sure Front-Left and Front-Right are wired in to the LF posts on your speakers

Wire up channel 6 to your HF posts on your Front-Left speaker

Wire up channel 7 to your HF posts on your Front-Right speaker

Power on AV reciever (no source playing) and hold down the Menu button til Setup appears.

Inside the Zone2 settings (If I remember correctly), set Channels 6+7 to 'Bi-Amp'

Save

...Then play a source and enjoy the more rounded bass, cleaner less muddied sound:thumbsup:

Dan.