1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR200 or Harman Kardon AVR 8500 ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Fadl, Dec 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Fadl

Fadl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am searching for a good AV receiver which sounds great in stereo too.
    Now I am stuck between the Arcam AVR 200 and the Harman AVR 8500.
    The Arcam would be around 200€ cheaper than the Harman.
    But which receiver should I choose? It's hard to find a dealer in Germany who has both in his showroom.

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I can help much but i'll start this off

I have heard the Arcam in stereo and it is excellent, no doubt about it, but it has it's critics who say that it isn't very exciting whatever that means + it doesn't have any of the newer surround sound formats as far as i know.

HK on the other hand is a more up to date machine which are known to be very good in stereo, I have an older HK which I bought because it was so good in stereo. I also think it is excellent in AV compared to it's peers

If you are mainly interested in stereo then the saving of £200 on the Arcam makes it hard to beat, but if you want an all rounder then I would pay the extra and go for the HK, the Arcam is also due for replacement soon.

3. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, having heard both, in stereo there's no comparison - the HK is superior.

However, the AVR 300 is out in the new year (see threads below) which may of course redress the balance - haev to wait and see. But if you need to buy now then the HK is the one to go for.

4. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the AVR200 and in stereo its great but I felt underwhelmed with it in surround modes. Didn't seem to 'punch' as much as my previopus denon 3801

I'll probably be selling soon and will have a listen to the avr300

Haven't heard the HK

5. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Got to agree with Johna, just replaced my AVR200 for exactly the same reason.

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    Really the HK is several classes above the AVR200 and certainly in the UK is also more than twice the price so the comparison is apples with pears!!! The HK is a very good receiver and IMHO is very under rated. If the AVR300 wasn't coming out then I would have no hesitation in say go for the HK but with the AVR300 on the horizon I would say wait and then do the comparison.

Regards
    John