1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARCAM AVR200 or DENON AVR3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by grainge, Apr 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am just about to buy a reciever. i have the following so far.

WScreen Sony Dolby pro logic
    Arcam DV88
    Mission 73 fronts
    Cyrus CLS 50c

Should i go for the Arcam AVR200 or the Denon AVR3803. I like the idea of having it run 2 speakers in another room but I like music as much as dvd and so the Arcam wins there . But the Denon seems to be more powerful. I would appreciate your opinions on this.

graingey

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Another option ... if music is as important or more important than movies ... a Rotel RA-02 plus a Marantz SR5300 (or other similar priced AV amp)

3. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO "power" is the most abused term in HiFi. Watts mean almost nothing.

What it comes down to in the end is a combination of amp and speaker. Speakers vary a lot in what they can produce due to impedance and sensitivity (which can also vary with frequency) and likewise amps vary in what they produce.

In reality, a full 100W into decent speakers will deafen you instantly and permanently, in a domestic situation:devil:

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I reckon it all depends on what amp you had previously. I own the AVR200 and it was my 4th hifi amp (in 6 years) for music and 2nd for home cinema. My 3rd amp was an Arcam stereo amp, so the Arcam sound appealed.

I demoed AVR200 against the Denon 3802 and much prefered the Arcam in stereo and slightly prefered the Denon with films. So I went Arcam around a year ago.

A few days ago I demoed the new Denon 3803 you are after and still slightly prefered the Arcam in stereo, but the newer Denon is much smoother and has tighter bass than the 3802. In films the 3803 kills my Arcam :( with amazing steering and wicked, deep bass. Much easier to tweak too.

So if you come from say, a Marantz or Rotel (for example) amp background in music listening, you may prefer the sharper Denon sound to the smoother Arcam musically. Makes choosing the Denon for films a shoe-in for you too. Go demo. :)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, we are talking AV, not Hifi ;) though more Watts means more power and thus more headroom / dynamics.
    It might not make the sound itself better but the total expericene can be quite improved.
    That said I hard some Dynaudio Contours before driven by a 13 Watt Valve pre-power combo - it did sound terrific but I am not sure if it would be suitable for AV use.

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Most people I have spoken to say the Arcam is better for music and the Denon better for AV so a bit of a tough one.

What do you listen to most, music or AV?