1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR200 - how bad compared to AVR250 and AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by OneDesi, Jul 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I am looking to buy a good AV amp and would value some opininons on whether the AVR200 is a good sounding amp when compared to th AVR250/300.

I know the 300 is meant to be awesome but I ave seen the AVR200 go for around £400 and if it sounds as good or close to the other 2 and only loses out on 7.1 and some other features then I would consider buying the AVR200.

All thoughts welcome!

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had an AVR200 and upgraded to the AVR300. While the AVR200 is a terrific receiver and great value for the money, it doesn't compare to the AVR250/300. The latter sound much better and are much more than just the addition of 2 channels. The improvements in the AVR250/300 are considerable, sound-wise and feature-wise.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I concur, the AVR200 is not even remotely close to the performance of the new AVR250 and AVR300. If you are looking to keep you budget down a wee bit it migt be worth noting that we (Sevenoaks) as doing the AVR250 for £900 at the moment.

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for that price, it's a steal gsrai. you will really improve your hifi level by choosing the AVR250. :) (although it is a bit more expensive then the AVR200)

5. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I feared you guys might say that - out of interest, how much would you pay for a second hand AVR200.

Crusty, thanks for the offer but I I've seen them going for c.£7-800 ish and I know yours would be new but with a transferrable warranty I'm more inclined to go second hand - best of luck with the sell!

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Personally speaking I wouldn't buy an AVR200 at any price not after hearing the other models, particularly at the fiendishly low price they are at.

7. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I thought the AVR200 was £1000 new and you are selling yours at £900 ( a saving but not a great one or am I missing something?)

8. kmbum

kmbum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both a 200 and 300. I love my 200! The 300 may be a better receiver, but I don't hear the differences. For music or movies don't be afraid of the 200. I bought mine used and don't regret that purchase for a minute. The 300 with all of the software updates has been a chore. If you get a good price for the 200, go for it. I'm using the same brand speakers, Quad 11L, with both receivers. Good luck.

9. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I have a AVR 200 and A85, they sound very similar... the 200 is a great receiver... they might be talking in terms of power, but to myself, I believe it has plenty of juice to drive most modest speakers. You might miss out on 7.1, but if you're on a budget, 5.1 might be where you want to go.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The AVR250 is normally £1000 new and we are now selling new ones for £900 at my shop. I think a £100 saving on a fairly recent highly respected product that really doesn't need to be discounted to sell is not a deal to be sniffed at.

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Ahhh now I understand - thanks for that, will mull it over!

12. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recently bought a second hand AVR100. Theres not much difference between the 100 and 200 apart from the 200 has PL2 and much better bass managment. If you can live without those the 100 is a good choice IMO.

I bought the avr100 and a set of second hand B&W speakers, 603 fronts, LCR6 center and 601 rears (all series 2). I then bought new interconnects (mainly IXOS) and silver anniversery speaker cable, and a universal remote (cambridge M1+).

The whole lot has cost me about 700 quid. I`m looking for a second hand dv88+ (which will probably cost about 250 quid). When I get this the whole system will have cost less than the price of a new avr250.

Now compared to most peoples setups here its not exactly a state of the art system (far from it in most cases) however I am more than happy with the sound quality and consider the value for money to be exceptional.

The way I see it is you look at your budget and buy the best you can for the money. If I could afford an AVR300 (or AV8) I would buy one today. However my total budget was no more than a grand for the full system and personally I think I bought wisely.

So basically what I`m saying is dont be afraid to buy second hand, there are some bargains out there, just make sure you do alot of research before buying anything.

Russ

13. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    That's a very good way of looking at buying - I'm just not good at setting budgets and I tend to get carried away. I will look into some more research.

14. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Just to let you guys know I took the plunge and bought a second hand AVR200 - couldn't resist at the price (c.£350 all in)

15. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    Might have one for sale very soon!