1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR100

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tracey, Jun 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my new AVR100 AV receiver connected using an Alpha 10p3 power amp to bi-amp the fron speakers. I'm very impressed with it even though I've literally only had about an hour to play with it so far. Was just wondering though, would I be better off connecting my DVD player via the analgue CD input for when I'm listening to CD's via my DVD player? I've noticed there seems to be a lack of ass when playing CD's but when playing DVD's or the tuner it's fine.

Any opinions?

2. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Domino...out of interest....what interconnects are you using between your DVD and Reciever??

Do you also have a DV88??

3. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the DV88 and AVR100 combination.

I use the analogue connections listening to CD's and in my opinion sound better this way.

The interconnects between the 2 are:

Digital coaxial - Van den Hul videolink 75 (i think?)for the 5.1 dvds

Analogue Phono pair - Chord co. Cobra 2 (mid range lead costing about £40-50 for 1m) Connect them to the "CD in" on the amp, this lets you select CD to listen via the analogue connection.

There are more expensive leads that apparantley "sound" better but I was unwilling to spend much more for small gains.

BTW I have also used a QED Qnect 2 for the phono pair and this lead also sounds good (£20ish) but now is connected to my video.

Buy a decent phono pair - I rekon it is worth it and CD's will sound better. Hope this is of use

Regards
    Calum

4. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using QED Qnect 2 for the analogue link and QED 75 ohm sommit or other (cost about £30) for the digital.

I wonder whether its worth investing in a better quality interconnect for CD playback??

[ 19-06-2001: Message edited by: le hutch ]

5. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a AVR100 (fed by a DV88) and was also wondering whether I'd get better CD playback quality using Digital or analogue connections. To be honest I cant hear much of a difference....but I would be interested to find out which method would be theoretically better....

6. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You should definitely use an analog connection to the CD input of the AVR-100 for listening to audio CD's. This will use the DAC's in the DVD player which are better than the ones in the amp.

I can switch between the CD input (analog) and the DVD input (digital) when playing music CD's and it does sound better via analog. Plus you'll gain the advantage of the HDCD filter in the DVD player if you have any material that uses it.

Domino